"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner." Colette

Aug 20, 2012

Bad Hair Day, Anyone?


I just saw a photo of an elephant taking a sip out of a man’s swimming pool, in Africa, I assumed by the backdrop.  I was tempted, but didn’t click to see the video because the cynic in me suspects an advertising gimmick by a splashy treetop resort.  I’m sure I could make this blog more popular by doing something with Google ads, for which I keep getting free offers, but I’m sick of being tricked into wasting time reading through infomercials while searching for the topic advertised.

The unfortunate part of everyone having cameras so readily available in phones, et al, is that it’s just like the Boy Who Cried Wolf.

At the touch of a button we can select the horror of the moment (yet another shark attack), most adorable baby (consider JonBenet), pet stunts (they come part-and-parcel with ownership), most unflattering celebrity snapshots (who envies that part of their lives?), and silly areas of interest: the top 10 places to live, work, love and play; hairstyles; social networks; cat clothes, etc., etc.

Instead of reading, we should be out more doing.  Where I live, everyone remains indoors, I suspect either watching TV or on the computer.  I'm outside right now mostly because I'm not allowed to keep BC outdoors unsupervised; I'm glad because it forces me to get some fresh air, but I wouldn't mind saying hello to a passerby and perhaps making a new non-virtual friend.  I need more than sound-bites.

I miss spontaneous neighborhood get-togethers on a summer's evening.  I guess the main thing which drew our parents and grandparents out onto the 'stoop', as it's called in the city, was to keep an eye on the kids.  I don't have my own, but I'd be really sorry if I had grandchildren who I couldn't talk into going outside to toss the ball.  They'll forget how one day; they'll stand there like Eloi.

Future Generations Whatever need to get out and start experiencing life for themselves; then maybe they could compile their own lists of The Top 10.

1 comment:

  1. Do you mind if I quote a couple of your articles as long as I provide credit and sources back to your website?
    My blog is in the very same niche as yours and my visitors would certainly benefit from a lot
    of the information you present here. Please let me know if this
    ok with you. Appreciate it!
    Also see my web page > dress slacks

    ReplyDelete

Add a comment

Original gourd art designs Copyright 2024 Andrea Jansen Designs. Please write for permission.