"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner." Colette

May 29, 2024

Cruising the Greek Isles: Thessaloniki

I've never been particularly attracted by the thought of a bonafide Cruise, especially after 12 years on Ruff Life.  But as I've said, I most likely would not have up-and-flown to Athens, then take off on a 7-day cruise.  Everything was already arranged, and I liked the idea that the ship wasn't one of those colossal things you see in the news, for I'd be lost all the time.


We left the Stanley Hotel in Athens and boarded the Celestyal Journey (r) in Piraeus, the Port of Athens.  The ship has 630 cabins and can carry 1260 passengers and 500 crew.  I don't know whether the ship was full, for it never seemed crowded to me.  I rarely had to wait in line for anything.

There was a possibility of the organizer finding another single with whom I could share a room and thus lessen the cost; but I know I snore, my sleep patterns would annoy most people and anyway, I like my privacy.  So I opted for a private exterior cabin (no balcony), well worth the extra money, which wasn't all that terrible (especially using a credit card).

After an Emergency Mustering Drill and ship orientation we were left to our own devices, so after unpacking I went exploring.  Numerous bars are strategically placed, but the free buffet was at the other end of the ship.  I didn't eat much (quantity) from the buffet, which seemed determined to have you pack on the pounds; but I did eat there most of the time.  Our 'package' included a certain number of drinks, but after the Michael episode, I was opting for more of the mocktails, they are yummy.

Forgive me - most readers have possibly enjoyed their own cruise and this seems fundamental, but to me it was fresh; and at 68 I can use all the 'freshness' I can get.  It's likely the last time I'll take a cruise, I thought then and now; so I took in all I could.  I was thrilled not to re-pack for a week, and after dinner with my friends and others from the group, I went to bed, anticipating future antiquities and hoping my feet would hold up for all the excursions I'd chosen (one a day).

Thessaloniki, Greece:  the Royal Tombs of  Aigai (Verginia).  I never heard, thus-knew-nothing, of either, and excitedly boarded the bus for my first excursion.  Here's the back-story:


"The city of Aigai, the ancient first capital of the Kingdom of Macedonia, was discovered in the 19th century near Vergina, in northern Greece. The most important remains are the monumental palace (not this), lavishly decorated with mosaics and painted stuccoes, and the burial ground with more than 300 tumuli (burial mounds), some of which date from the 11th century B.C.

"One of the royal tombs in the Great Tumulus (r) is identified as that of Philip II, who conquered all the Greek cities, paving the way for his son Alexander and the expansion of the Hellenistic world."

You know Archaeologists - they're forever digging.  They'd already uncovered 51 tumuli and discovered that 50 had been looted.  But not this one.

(Note:  it is theorized that the paint was not completely dry before the earth was piled on top, so it's not in the best condition.  They have 'tweaked' photographs to better express the original artwork.  This is Hades sweeping Persephone off to the Underworld.)

In 1977,  Archaeologist Manolis Andronicos* discovered a treasure-trove of artifacts inside this tomb which most (but not all) attribute to Philip II.   It might also belong to some other king but we won't know for certain until someone, someday, unearths something else.

What really matters is that it WAS left intact, and the contents are spectacular.  I questioned whether the exhibit was kept dark to protect the artifacts, I could hardly see my hands.  No, she answered - it's to keep it more authentic.


'Some floor lights would be nice instead of hands outstretched like the blind,' I thought after apologizing to the wheelchair-bound woman I barged in to.

Look at the size of this shield - imagine their arms.  Captain America has nothing on this guy.  (I am a fan of the Four Chris's:  Pine, Pratt, Hemsworth and Evans, no particular order.  I wouldn't turn up my nose at ANY of them!)

The Spartans, we were told, used to fight naked, so I naturally visualized Gerard Butler.  We heard the story of long-distance runner Pheidippides who, in armor, ran from the battlefield in Marathon to Athens (25 miles) to report the Greek's victory over the Persians; and then dropped dead.  That story's also in dispute: whether he ran the last 25 miles; but everyone agrees he ran from Athens to Sparta (to rally some troops) and then to Marathon (approx. 300 miles).

Thus was the origin of the Marathon.  Annual Spartathlons attract  athletes from around the world; but since 1984 only 700 have completed the 36 hour, 153 mile race from Athens to Sparta. (Photo note: the misshapen greaves on the right are consistent with Philip II's leg injury caused by a spear.)


Ancient Greeks cremated remains more often than burying bodies.  This fancy box, known as a larnax, contains Philip II's cremated remains; and he wore the gold wreath as a symbol of kingship.

There are other people in this burial mound:  a woman plus a child, believed to be Alexander the Great's murdered son.  Alexander's remains were whisked away to Egypt by one of his generals and eventually disappeared.  They're still searching for his body, and some believe these remains are actually HIS remains and not his father's; along with his wife Roxane and son.

I would have liked to spend more time in certain areas, but there were quite a few people visiting the tomb so our time was limited.  I kept hanging back or going faster than the group in order to shoot without too many spectators.

Still, it was impressive, so I clicked away with my camera, fidgiting with the settings while half-listening to the guide.  I felt better after reading some traveler's article in which he tells hiimself (sic): 

"Keep snapping - and research later."  That's me!

Next up: Kusadasi, Turkey

From the beginning: Athens and the Acropolis  

* Archaeologist Manolis Andronicos, discoverer of the Royal Tombs of Vergina

3 comments:

  1. What a great job you are doing as the chronicler fo the tour!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read through your blog and then looked at the larger photos individually. What a wonderful trip account it became after you added the history et al! So glad you had this opportunity! You're doing a fine job with the narrative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I worried it might be boring...

      Delete

Add a comment

Original gourd art designs Copyright 2024 Andrea Jansen Designs. Please write for permission.