"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner." Colette

Jun 17, 2021

Plant me in the tulips, please

"Have you seen the commercial about Potter's Field?" I was out to lunch with my local gal-pals, the first time in over a year.  You'd think I'd have a better topic of conversation, but this damn commercial has been airing for weeks.

"Huh...wha...?"

The ad is for burial insurance and I tried to describe the scene:  it resembles the battlefield of Verdun; trees burned; everything was grey; with simple 'headstones' scattered about, all bent to the side.  The nameless placards looked like a T instead of a cross, I guess that covers all denominations.

"I know that's where I'll wind up," I continued.  "I  won't care where I am when the time comes, but I don't particularly want to look at it now."  The accompanying dialogue to the commercial:

"No one visits; no one leaves flowers; nobody cares."  Talk about depressing; I was tempted for just a moment to grab my credit card.

"Well I'll tell you what," Lea immediately spoke up.  She's been taking care of me like a sister since I returned to Oregon in 2010.  "If you die before me, I'll plant you on our property."

"That's illegal, isn't it?"

"Awww...who's going to check?"

She has a point.  We have no Corpse Police, thank goodness.  Well, the very next day my problem was solved.

Oregon House Bill 2574 approving Human Composting. Washington State's the only other place.  No wonder we have such big trees...it's just become legal, is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment

Original gourd art designs Copyright 2024 Andrea Jansen Designs. Please write for permission.