"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner." Colette

Jan 14, 2024

Update on Tiny Home Village in Austin

You may recall earlier posts about my stay in Community First Village, a novel approach to tackling the homeless crisis in Austin, TX.  I still keep in touch with several people I met there, one of who recently sent a link to a NY Times article from January 8th:

Can a Big Village Full of Tiny Homes Ease Homelessness in Austin?

(Full link address at the end)

BC and I volunteered there for 9 months in 2017, shortly after the passing of my mother. It was a great place for healing. I refinished furniture for the tiny homes, painted signs for common areas and tried to be a good neighbor to people who'd felt very isolated following years, sometimes decades, on the street. BC was a good theraputic dog.  All together, we were building a sense of community unlike anything I'd experienced in a long, long time.


At the time, Community First was about 27 acres, with the ability to house approx. 200 residents, Missionals and Workampers; which is how my current Workamping career began.  Exchanging work for a place to park my RV-home, in a nutshell.

As you'll read, the community has grown by an additional 25 acres, and has recently broken ground on another 127 acres, imagine.

Oddly enough, I'd already been sent the article by Gayle in Puerto Rico, who wrote that she'd remembered me describing helping with such a place in Texas. The Very Same.  Slowly but surely, word is getting out.

Here's the trailer from the documentary, "Community First, a Home for the Homeless."

I'm still proud of my contribution.  Please support endeavors to house the homeless in your community, and thank you.

NY Times article: https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/08/headway/homelessness-tiny-home-austin.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

1 comment:

  1. How wonderful!! Wish other cities would find out how it is done and go for it!!!

    ReplyDelete

Add a comment

Original gourd art designs Copyright 2024 Andrea Jansen Designs. Please write for permission.