"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner." Colette

Sep 12, 2023

Why I DON'T Want a Younger President

This is an oxy-moronic kind of story.

For new readers, I'm pretty much indigent.  At 67, I survive on Social Security, Food Stamps (SNAP) plus I'm on the Oregon Health Plan (OHP), thank God I don't have monthly Medicare deductions.  What keeps me off the streets in this economy is being a Workamper at an RV resort, where I'm compensated for my labors with an RV pad, electricity and propane.

At the end of the month, if my hours worked -multipled by- the minimum wage is less than my actual expenses, I owe them.  If it's more than, the excess hours go into a 'kitty' to make up any month I'm low, or to use for future vacation time.  I have never owed them, so my kitty's well in the black.

That's the deal we made.  Some places pay Workampers for extra hours worked, others don't.  But our Corporate Office is considering changing the policy, it's their right; primarily because many Workampers have accummulations such as mine.  The idea is to monetize and pay all our kitties; then each month pay whatever overage is owed.

Sounds pretty good, huh?  Who wouldn't mind receiving an unexpected windfall?

RETIREES, that's who.  It took a couple days for the consequences to sink in:  the windfall and subsequent salary won't matter to Social Security, it's only a pittance.  But it'll make a BIG difference to SNAP and my health coverage.

(Based on my average expenses), "It would only be about," clickety-click on the calculator, "$120 a month," my Manager offered.  Yeah, except...

  1. After each January's Social Security Cost-of-Living Adjustment, my SNAP benefits go down accordingly.  If I'm declaring an extra $120, fuggetaboutit, I'll be back to eating lips-and-toes hotdogs the second half of the month. 
  2. I was recently advised by OHP that due to last January's 6% SS increase (about $60 extra), I now earn too much money to receive Part D of my plan.  Fortunately, I don't have medical issues requiring expensive medication.

Bottom line, if I do receive that $120 a month, I'll not only lose my SNAP benefits but quite possibly my OHP; THEN have to start paying the $165 monthly Medicare.  Except my monthly deduction will be higher than that because I didn't join when I turned 65, whose dumb idea was that?

So tell me why I should try to improve my situation?  It's not a problem unique to me, even here at the park.  A couple from California can't earn extra money or else the wife will lose medical coverage, and she's currently being treated for breast cancer.  A couple from Washington has same-but-different difficulties:  the husband can't earn more or he'll have to pay the same Medicare penalty as me; but the wife needs to earn slightly more in order to qualify for some other special health benefit.

"Three different households; completely different situations; similar trouble in our old age,"  I said to my Manager.  In her 50's, she's hearing some of these details for the first time and will discuss it with Corporate to see what can be done.

"I don't want you to lose your food stamps over this," she said.

"I'm more inclined to tell you to keep your money, just give me the time off whenever I do take vacation."  I won't be at this park forever, so if I lose everything now then suddenly lose my position,  I'd need to start all over.

Therefore, do I WANT some young President who hasn't yet had to deal with this bullshit, therefore won't particularly care about (our) predicaments?

NOPE.  I want a President who thinks clearly, even if he has to sit in a wheelchair like Roosevelt.  At least Biden GETS on a bike at his age, and tell me you haven't tripped or fallen at an inopportune moment.  Remember Gerald Ford?  People tend to forget that Pres. Biden has dealt his entire life with stuttering, look it up yourself.

“It's a debilitating situation,” Biden has said. “And I still occasionally, when I find myself really tired, catch myself (stuttering).”

I'll favor a physical over a character flaw in my future president ANY day.  They're BOTH old, but don't start putting our politicians (and the rest of us) out to pasture just yet!

P.S.  I heard this morning that the average attention span now is around 45 seconds, so if you've gotten this far then Congratulations!  You're WAY ABOVE AVERAGE!! 

1 comment:

  1. I LOVED your comment about desiring PHYSICAL over CHARACTER flaws!!!! Hear Hear!!!! I think getting a few more vacation days over $ is a Win Win. Then you can come here more often:)))))))

    ReplyDelete

Add a comment

Original gourd art designs Copyright 2024 Andrea Jansen Designs. Please write for permission.