"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner." Colette

Apr 9, 2021

It's a Long Wait for Affordable Housing

Dear Andrea,

"You are active on the wait list for Section 8 (applied 12/28/18) and on the list for Project Based Voucher (applied 2/7/19). You have about 1 year left of waiting for Section 8 and about 2 years left for PBV.

"There is no priority for fire victims when it comes to Section 8, however the list remains long.  You will be notified with a letter in the mail when you reach the top of the list."

I wrote the other day to find out where I stood on the list, because I assumed recent fire victims (particularly with children) would have priority.  Based on the information provided I'm guessing I'm at number 1,000 or so, this is in Jackson County alone.  That's a lot of people besides me waiting for an affordable place to live.

"You live in an RV because it's your choice."

Yes I do, and I think I've made the most of it.  It's certainly preferable to living in a box under a bridge; but don't for a minute think I've enjoyed bequeathing my most valued possessions to whoever happens to be living nearby, simply because I've got no place to put them.  If 30% of one's income is supposed to be the limit for housing costs, what might I afford for $292.50?

Right now BC and I are on private property, which is nice; but if the owners decide to move, we're screwed.  And the ONLY reason my rent here is affordable is because I've been friends of the family since coming back to Oregon in 2010.

Many of you may not understand the Section 8 and Project Based Voucher programs; I hardly do myself. Basically, once I reach the top of the lists I am eligible for financial assistance in renting a place, with me kicking in 30-40% of my income.  First I'll need to find a place which accepts such vouchers; another obstacle to face but not right now.

Section 8 vouchers can be used for private homes, apartment complexes, etc; and can be transferred to other states, providing the new state says, Okey Dokey.   From ProPublica:
"The Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program is a form of government rent assistance. In 2018, upwards of 5 million people across the country lived in a household that used a voucher to help pay some or all of their rent.

"When Congress established Section 8 of the Housing and Community Development Act in 1974, one of the goals was to make sure people earning low wages could find “decent housing and a suitable living environment” outside of public housing units.

"Today, people who meet income requirements can apply to the program to receive a voucher when they become available. If they are approved, selected and then find an apartment or house with the voucher, their local housing authority starts sending payments directly to landlords."

Corporate Volunteer Day
Project Based Vouchers are only valid in county Projects. I took a look at one referred by Senior Services and it looked like Alcatraz; no thanks, I'll take the bridge. And now the situation's worse because of last summer's Alameda Fire.  Mobile homes are a popular low-income alternative, but many of those were among the 2700 units lost in the inferno.

"Even before the fire, Jackson County was dealing with an acute shortage of affordable housing. And in mere hours, the wildfire consumed a big chunk of the supply in the Rogue Valley, exacerbating the problem.

"(Mobile homes) were the refuge of a lot of people who don’t have a lot of money. We had an affordable housing crisis before this and now we have a lot more people who are living on the street or in temporary conditions.”

Finished horseshoe pit

So if I understand this correctly, for my 'pay grade' I'd be eligible to rent something up to about $1000, after I kick in my 30%. Around here that's a one bedroom or studio.  I have to come up with the full Security Deposit myself, which is why I am extremely grateful for the Stimulus checks we've all received.  At least if I do find something requiring first and last month's rent I can confidently tell the owners,  Only one more year.


When interviewed by Megan the other day, we did something called FaceTime and my unfiltered words spewed live across her Facebook page, I think; I don't do social media.  As Megan filmed my murals with her phone she asked me,

"What do you say to those people who are against free housing?" She was reading online comments, including, "Get a job!"

Charlie signing my Guest Book
"It's not free," Amy erupted for a moment but I explained,  "Everyone who lives in these (tiny home communities) has to pay rent."  In Texas, monthly rates ranged from (approx.) $250 a month for a tent, $325 for a tiny home and $400 for an RV with full hookups.  All units had electricity, and those charges were extra.

"Just because you're homeless doesn't mean you don't have an income: Social Security, Disability, part-time work.

"Residents have to work hard to pull themselves up," by getting driver's licenses or ID's; resolving issues with courts, etc.; participating in group and private sessions with counselors and mental health professionals; finding that job and hopefully a permanent place to live. "And anyone who isn't trying is asked to leave."  Hope Village establishes a savings account for every resident, setting aside a portion of their rent money so that when they do leave, they'll have a bit of a nest egg to help with their own security deposits.

"You don't solve homelessness with four walls and a roof.  You can't just say, Get a job. People need a place to clean up; wear decent clothes for an interview; get some uninterrupted sleep; and if there's no encouragement, such as, "You look nice" or "Why not try this?", how do you expect them to develop enough confidence to reconnect with society?"

I was pissed and kept forgetting that it was LIVE, unlike our outdoor interview which was edited, but I didn't really care. I was just glad to help get the information out there, like I'm doing here.

So thank you for letting me describe the other side of the fence.

2 comments:

  1. This is a really great commentary. Your comments need a wider audience!

    ReplyDelete

Add a comment

Original gourd art designs Copyright 2024 Andrea Jansen Designs. Please write for permission.