"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner." Colette

Sep 10, 2021

The Hungry Games

Congratulate me - I finally hit the top of the Section 8 housing list, Yahoo!  Yesterday I attended my first Zoom meeting only because I'd get thrown off the list and have to start all over again if I didn't.

I experimented with Zoom the day before my Voucher Program orientation and set up the meeting on my computer 15 minutes prior.  I covered the windows and put on some makeup, trying to remember 'Tips to Zoom' I've read in the past. I easily connected, but watched as one participant after another struggled to join the group, "Can you hear me?"  You could decidedly detect relief in their voices when they finally succeeded.

FEAR and PANIC, it drives us all during this process.  One false step and we lose any chance of a home, there are too many people in line behind us.

So here's the deal (for us all):  I've been on the list for about 3 years, and now have a mere 60 days to find something affordable, good luck to me and the Mets.  Veterans have a month or two longer.  The clock started ticking yesterday and I counted down a couple of weeks on my calendar so I don't lose track.  I might be able to get an extension but there's no guarantee, so basically if I don't find SOMETHING they'll kick me off the list and I'll have to start all over again.  Needless to say my Road Adventure has been postponed, but I was leaning that way anyhow, the way things are shutting down and the virus mutating.

No, I'm not stressed.  I read as much as I could stand over the past few years about how this Gold-Star Voucher will change my life, and how I'd be able to use it.  Bah, humbug, the information turned out to be pretty much useless once I heard the story straight from the Housing lady's mouth, wish I'd known some of the following beforehand.  Kinda sneaky, if you ask me, but perhaps they're trying to prevent a bloodbath.

Whatever the rent turns out to be, based on my income (Social Security) I'll pay about 30% and the government will pick up the rest.  But rent rates for which I'm eligible depend on the zip code.  In 6 zip codes I'm authorized rents $814 - $998 depending if I rent a one bedroom house/mobile; a one bedroom duplex; or a one bedroom apartment/townhouse (they give the most for the last).  Did I mention rent rates include utilities?

I have 6 zip codes to look around. If I rent elsewhere my rates drops to around $775 - $874 a month.  Outside of the jurisdiction I'll have to try to 'Port' to another.  Out of State requests to Port require us to have lived here on Section 8 for one year (I'll have to double-check on that).  Once I do find a place and make a verbal agreement with the landlord, I'll submit paperwork requesting a mandatory Inspection and THAT's when the clock stops ticking.  Follow-up inspections are required every year.  Maximum two persons of any age and sex per bedroom, period.

So what if I find a place for $1,100 but I'm only allotted $965?  Can I (or someone else) make up the difference?  Nope.  We can pay an extra $5 or $10 WITH APPROVAL but an extra $50 or $100?  Nope, and I could get kicked out of the program for doing so and can't re-apply for 3 years.

It's not a problem to rent a 2 bedroom if it's within my rates, but not a Studio.  That would need to be approved and my rate would be reduced, I don't know why they just don't add that option to their list.  Seems discriminatory against single people.  Once I find something then the landlord, tenant and Housing Authority complete all the paperwork (following the Inspection) and eventually a lease is signed.

There's only one other county where I can look without having to 'Port', but Josephine County has a shortage like here in Jackson.  If I find something anywhere else I'll need to have MY housing office send my paperwork to the NEW housing office and they'll have to agree to take me on.  Their housing rates may differ than here, so how can I know what to look for in the first place?  Once I Port and the Inspection's scheduled the clock stops, and Paperwork begins.

Now, I'm going to have to find a very patient landlord willing to go through all that, if they'll rent to me at all.  The Housing Authority does not 'vet' prospective tenants; it's the landlord's responsibility.  I've worked hard the past few years improving my credit score and squirreling money away for security deposits and other expenses, in preparation for this moment.  God forbid someone has a record of any kind or needs to take out one of their 'loans' for help with the security deposit.  It's lots more paperwork for at most $700 yet better than nothing, certainly; but what about the time it takes?  The clock's ticking.

I'm still not clear how I might qualify if a landlord requires an income 3 times the rent, but I guess I'll find out soon enough. It's illegal to discriminate against (us) for using Section 8 but that's hard to prove, even the housing folks agree. 

A friend assumed they would offer me an apartment once I received my voucher, or at least a list of possibilities.  Well, not a single place on their list has availability (I searched online), so why bother including it in the packet?  So how do we find something?

Craigslist; apartments.com; realtors.com; drive around and look for signs. That's what I planned to do but somehow thought they'd have other options.  Nope, you're on your own.  And I just heard on the news that housing inventory around here has dropped 15%.  After last year's devastating Alameda fire on top of already scarce, affordable housing (caused in part by legalized marijuana and people working from home), prices have skyrocketed.

Some participants already living in a solid structure simply (ha!) apply their Voucher 'in place'.  I live in an RV on private property.  My Voucher can help me rent a manufactured home but not an RV.

"What about helping me rent an RV space?"  At the moment I'm illegally parked.

Nope.

"What if  someone provides me with a manufactured home: can I use the Voucher to rent a mobile/manufactured home space?"  I was trying not to be annoying and only typed my questions. There may not be one of those type homes for rent but I've seen ads for spaces to place them, and I've got generous friends and relatives I could hit up for some help.  I doubt I can afford both on my own, even with a low-interest loan.  A number of participants have partners which help come up with the rent, but I'm not picking up some Bozo just for a place to flop.  As to whether or not I could rent the space?

It's only happened once before and the woman needed her doctor's recommendation.  I can't come up with something like that on a dime so the answer's, Nope (but if you're still on the waiting list, plan ahead!)  Gosh, you'd think they'd be open to more possibilities with the scarcity of affordable housing everywhere.

The participants were all pleasant but once the meeting was over we entered The Hungry Games 27 of us vying for practically non-existent openings, and we're only one orientation's worth.  I can wield my walking stick pretty threateningly, and it's a good thing some of them are disabled.

Is this how it's supposed to be?

I've been bitching about affordable housing for almost a decade.  So last night I began my new daily chore: checking all the online sites.  Writing down places to take a peek.  I'd rather stay in my RV in a Walmart parking lot that live in some slummy place where I feel unsafe. They warned us to avoid nasty places, thanks for the head's up.

I'll let you know how the it goes, keep your fingers crossed.

P.S.  Here's a follow-up post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment

Original gourd art designs Copyright 2024 Andrea Jansen Designs. Please write for permission.