"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner." Colette

Nov 7, 2021

Look What I Found

I received a positive response to my 60-day extension: "After review...has been granted. The final expiration date now January 7, 2022.  If you have not requested an inspection by the date listed above, your voucher will expire and be issued to the next applicant on the waiting list and you will have to re-apply for assistance (and wait another 3+ years).  There will be no further extensions available."

And the horse you rode in on, but at least I got it. So all week I've been worried about BC, who did not have the medical issue I thought but a different one, it's a good thing I took her in last Monday. (Separately, Doggy Diabetes)   On Friday I took her back for an all-day glucose curve.  I dropped her off first thing, then dropped off my laptop for a fixin'; which leaves me in a pickle because while I own a Smart Phone and a tablet, I really don't know how to use them.  My phone reception at home is comparable to the moon, so I've purchased a Skype number, since the property owner's Internet reception is reliable.

I tried to distract myself throughout the week with a couple of lousy blog posts (sorry) and multiple trips to Goodwill, I always find bargains (minus 10% Senior discount). After all that worrying and feeling BC's absence, I ate gobs of comfort food then lay down for a nap, accompanied by a good cry and a prayer to the Almighty, I'm sure many can relate.

When I awoke I felt better, and decided to try and access Craigslist on the tablet, which I did.  Listed 2 hours earlier was the little house above, with five interior photos: 2 bedrooms, 1 bath, updated interior, lots of outdoor space (for my teardrop), including that little shed.  $1,000 a month, in Medford, which just meets my allotment, read The Hungry Games to learn the story from the beginning.

My first thought was, "This sounds too good..." and of course I know the adage, but tell me you haven't thought, "Maybe this time that won't apply to me."  And if I don't try, how can I know, so I called the strange area code.  My second hesitation was the fellow's thick, Asian accent; he was very hard to understand through Skype-on-the-tablet.  Don't be a racist, I chided myself; besides, a recent arrival might not be as (nasty, greedy, dictatorial) as an American slumlord.

The third tipoff should have been when he said a dog was no problem, just an additional $300 refundable security deposit, in addition to the one month rent, one month security, refundable, he repeated several times.

"Can I see it?  Is it vacant?  I can come right now."  I never mentioned Section 8; I'll cross that bridge...  Besides, it was hard enough to understand the street address.

"I'm not in town right now," DING DING DING, "but take a look and call me back if you're still interested."

I Googled the directions and was pleased to see it was on Medford's East Side; the nice side of town.  I forced myself to wash the Eggs Benedict dishes to calm my nerves; feeding myself platitudes like, "If it's right for me, it'll be there, and things will go smoothly.  Have a little faith."

It was also in the direction of the Vet, so I figured I'd take a look at the house then check on BC's progress, hoping she could come home early.  The rainy-cold weather matched my mood and I fought to remain positive.  I found the place but my face fell when I saw the real estate sign, "By Appointment Only." I pulled in to the driveway, staring at the house while pleading with Providence not to have pulled the wool over my eyes, again.

After a bit I called the number on the sign and left a message: "I'm at (this property) you're listing - I'm hoping this isn't a scam, but if it is for rent please give me a call."  As long as I was there, I took a look around.  There's not much behind the house - most of the property is in the front.  But what a cute, postage-stamp-size house, it would be perfect, and the neighborhood seemed safe, at least safer than other places I've looked at. A rent-to-own would be fabulous, I dreamed.

The realtor called almost immediately, and she was very pleasant: "No, it most certainly is not for rent." I felt like a fool.  "I don't even list houses on Craigslist anymore, because this ALWAYS happens."

"I was afraid of that; but then how did they get the photos?"

"Probably off Zillow."

We had a discussion about the unfortunate practice of this type of scam, and she reminded me,

"If it sounds too good to be true..." I felt like a total idiot; and no, she didn't handle rentals.

"It's a very sweet place, may I ask how much it's going for?"

"Three-fifteen."

"$315,000???"

"Yes, that's right," with a twinge of amazement herself.  As we spoke she tried to find the ad on Craigslist herself, but it was already gone.  "I'm not making this up; I am here," I felt compelled to say.  Sure enough, it was up again the following day, twice, I have no idea how to mark listings as SCAMs. One listing shows the front of the house, for $1,000; and the second listing has a picture of the back of the house, for $1,800 a month, but without interior photos this time. I sent her a text.  Maybe the scammers got such a positive response the first time, they thought they'd double their efforts.

I tried to be a big girl when I left the property but was quite disturbed, and became totally lost in the unfamiliar neighborhoods, which only made things worse.  By the time I got to the Vet it was all I could do not to break down, but when the Vet said BC wasn't doing well with the insulin, I lost it.

She thought the tears were for BC, which of course they were but not entirely; and after she said, "We treat the whole package," I told her about my wild goose chase and bless her, she let me get it all out. 

"I was really hoping it would be my turn, but no." She couldn't understand the idea of pulling a scam on rentals, until I supposed, "It must be the security deposits they're after," or else personal information to steal.  Can't get blood out of a stone in cases like mine, but,  "They're hoping for desperate people, and I was so excited when he said a dog would be allowed," that I ignored the warning signals.

She handed me a tissue and assured me BC was in great health - we just need to adjust her insulin dosage.  And if that doesn't work (another glucose curve in 2 weeks) then we'll try switching insulin.  I've been using the kind you can get at Walmart; the other is twice the amount, but she's worth it.

So that's been my week, and my continuing search for housing.  At least I got my laptop back.

Here's what happened next:  "Not All Turkeys Have Feathers"

1 comment:

  1. Oh Andrea, what rotten luck. I hope BC remains stable- you know I’ve been down that path myself with my dog. I’ll be sending prayers for you. X

    ReplyDelete

Add a comment

Original gourd art designs Copyright 2024 Andrea Jansen Designs. Please write for permission.