"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner." Colette

Apr 7, 2023

Advenures in Guanica

THIS is the way I like to vacation:  with hardly a soul around.  Meet Gayle, a dear friend from my early days in la Parguera, c. 1999.  Her husband, Joey, used to come in to el Muelle on behalf of his ice cream distributor, cajoling a check (through me) from my boss.  An earlier story documents our friendship,  Tormented by Ice Cream.  Unfortunately, Joey suddenly passed away 3 years ago, and this was the first time Gayle and I spent time face-to-face in 14 years.  Lots to go over.
Many moons ago...
I hadn't really planned out my 2 week trip, and didn't let anyone know I was coming until the last minute. I wanted to feel-out Miguel and Nellie's schedules, since they were the reason I returned to the island (read the beginning of this story here).  Gayle was enthusiastic when she returned my email, delighted I'd be coming to the island and hoping to get together.  (She didn't beat me up about not giving more notice until I was within reach.)  

Two days into my trip, I began to feel anxiety over trying to visit everyone I'd like to see in a limited amount of time. "This is supposed to be a vacation," I reminded myself in bed, hoping a solution would miraculously present itself.  When I awoke, the thought came to contact Gayle first thing and check her schedule, since I couldn't remember whether or not she had retired.

"...Free as a bird.  I've got an appointment in Mayaguez in an hour...I can pick you up or meet you somewhere."  Perfect!

Miguel and Nellie were amenable to whatever I chose to do and M happily chauffeured me around; still, as I've said, THEY were my priority, but I also figured they could use a break from company, couldn't you?




Home for my friend is a beautiful property between la Parguera and Guanica.  Joey was already gone when the 6.4 earthquake in 2020 struck right in fronnt of Gayle's place, resulting in a floor full of broken dishware.  She now uses bungee cords to keep cabinet doors closed.


c. 2001
I vowed to start getting some of my color back after (Miguel's son) Marco said, "You look the same, except you're so WHITE!" So while waiting at Gayle's house for a workman to complete his chores, I sat outside on her fabulous deck, slathered in sunscreen.  Too bad after all that effort I could only take about 15 minutes of sunshine, even in March.



You can't help but enjoy the serenity when you're outside and the views go on and on.  I realized that most of my time with Gayle had been spent in the company of others (our spouses) either at their lively parties or on our boat.

So this time was becoming a real getting-to-know-you moment, for over the course of several days we hashed-over the circumstances which preceded our current lives.  Nothing at all like either of us imagined, but we're emerging stronger, smarter, more capable women, Hallelujah!

Gayle and Joey's children are all grown with children of their own.  Just as I had done in Marco's home, I looked at her family photographs lining the walls in disbelief.  I had to acknowledge the amount of time which has passed (14 years), and also my wrinkles, ouch!


Visiting Gayle's place was bittersweet, for when collie Czar died, she and Joey very kindly allowed Czar to be buried on their property.  It would have been natural to scatter his ashes at sea, but at the time cremation was exhorbitant.  Sweet boy.




Plenty of dogs now keep Gayle company, along with a couple of cats.  Over the years, Czar's spot has become a pet cemetary.  I gave the headstone a pat, imagining him romping with BC wherever they're waiting for me.




We talked as we walked her grounds, accompanied by four-legged companions, including a horse-size Great Dane.  I missed BC, of course, but was gradually feeling comfortable traveling alone again.





A delicious ladies' lunch at the Las Palmas Cafe in the Copamarina Resort, Guanica was called for.  Our waiter, Christopher, was a very good looking 20-something who good-naturedly bantered with two old broads.  No harm, and we can't run very fast anyway.  We split a Caesar Salad and I ordered a Pepperoni Pizza (I can only take so much rice and beans).

The water looked beautiful and the scenery, well just look. The water looked so blue, it looked fake; as if the backdrop was a painted mural.  Parts of the shoreline have been altered by hurricanes and businesses gone, but you can still kayak out to places like Gilligan's Island.

We were about the only ones in the place. It was nice and quiet, and the beach was nearly deserted.  After lunch Gayle drove us along the coast, teasing, "We're heading for the nudist beach," which interested neither of us.  




She pulled over near at a rugged outcrop where I took some photos.  Despite having lived here for 12 years, I was discovering local places for the first time; like a tourist, such fun.

I was grateful not to be experiencing sappy or painful angst while revisiting my past  Enough had changed; I changed; and my overall outlook is quite different than it was, thank goodness.  I've said before, life on Ruff Life with the Captain wasn't easy or always pleasant, but I would not have missed any of it.

On the third day, Miguel came to have lunch (leftover pizza, it was huge) and take me back.  My friends got along very well, and after Gayle heard Miguel is a Santos carver, she told him about a dead Ironwood tree on her property which fell over during the last hurricane.  She offered him the wood... in exchange for a couple of carvings she'd mentally designed over time.  Miguel happily agreed, and we went outside to take a look.

First he sharpened her machete to blaze a trail.  This may seem boring to some, but I find all these new experiences interesting.  Just happened to have a machete.

Miguel explained that Ironwood is extremely dense and difficult to cut, thus the name; and the polished wood resembles ebony.  He'd need a chainsaw and a helper.


Back in the day, Joey cut slices out of some of their Mesquite trees for me to paint (left: one of my first if not the).  Gayle hadn't realized what was hanging on her wall and was tickled by the newly-discovered significance.  A bit too many bubbles, perhaps, but doesn't the Mesquite wood look beautiful!  The bark is on the left and right, outside of where the lighter bands are.
It was difficult to say goodbye to Gayle.  In the old days it would be, "Until the next time," and I suppose it's the same now.  We'll certainly be talking more often.

Soooo....a good time was had by all, thank you, girlfriend!  Written with love.



 

6 comments:

  1. Ah, Gayle, Joey and their family. I remember a wonderful evening at their place. Also it was their son who allowed you to lend us the first Harry Potter book which you’d borrowed from him. I just realised that this June it will be 20 years since we returned to the UK after our 5 years cruising around the Caribbean. One of our favourite places was Puerto Rico where we met you all. Great life! Pam x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gayle remembers you, too! Ahhh...the Harry Potter phase of our cruise, such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad that you had fabulous reunions with everyone so that you return!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your wonderful accolades and for re-emerging into my life, Andrea!

    Let’s not make it another 14 years. As long as I continue here in Lajas, mi casa es su casa!

    ❤️❤️❤️ Gayle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, gal! Had such a great time with you; try to get over your aversion to cold weather!

      Delete

Add a comment

Original gourd art designs Copyright 2024 Andrea Jansen Designs. Please write for permission.