"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner." Colette

Jan 10, 2024

Vulgarity in Congress

WHAT is happening to decorum in our Capital?  Forget whose side you're on, and try to forget America's penchant for Reality TV.  I flipped on the news this a.m. and heard Rep. Nancy Mace (R) from South Carolina haranguing Hunter Biden in the halls of Congress by shouting (sic),

"He has no balls."

It's not a Lume commercial.  Do we really want to hear our so-called Leaders insult constituents (and one another) with filthy language and personal insults? I'm pretty sure it's not one-sided, but I'm not sure whether it's a cultural thing or an AGE thing.  Seems to happen more often in the House than the Senate, probably because any Tom, Dick or Sally with a creative resume or a big-oted mouth can become an elected Representative.

Many people thought it OK for PA's Sen. John Fetterman (D) to arrive to work in Washington wearing shorts and a hoodie.  He doesn't look cool to me, just sloppy; and I for one am happy the relaxed dress-code was reversed within a week.  Proof I'm not alone in my thinking. 

Now granted, I developed a Sailor's Mouth during my 20's after becoming part of a military environment, where swearing is common.  But I'm not in charge...of the Nation or a Corporation.  I still have to watch my words, as you occasionally read; but over time I've cleaned it up A BUNCH, take my word.

I can still picture one family dinner at a restaurant (a real treat for us at the time) when Dad leaned towards an adjacent table and politely asked the men to please watch their language - there were ladies present.  The gentlemen complied without a nasty comment (even if they wanted to), you won't see that nowadays.  I was a pre-teen (now known as 'tween') and EVERYTHING my parents did embarassed me, but now I'm simply proud.  Sometimes we just need a reminder.

Fast-forward 50 years, how times have changed.  It's amazing that people feel free to call me a WOKE when, during an up-until-then civil discourse, I happen to identify as a Democrat.  It feels like a slap in the face.  The funny thing is I have yet to hear anyone answer when I ask for their definition of WOKE; I get a blank face.  Here's one from Merriam-Webster:

 "WOKE:  Aware of and actively attentive to important societal facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice)"   I don't find that insulting.

And here's another:

"Disapproving: politically liberal or progressive (as in matters of racial and social justice) especially in a way that is considered unreasonable or extreme."  I think that's the one they mean.

How dare they?  In the future, shall I go through a littany of insulting terms until I find the one which fits them?  I heard plenty as a kid in NYC - on the playground, certainly not in the classroom - a fast way to get your mouth washed out with soap:

Polack; Wetback; Limey; Frog; Knuckle-Scraper; Chink; Wop; Spic; Kike...and more recently Towel-Heads and He-She's

Any of those sound familiar?  If not, chances are good you'll hear them in the future, straight from the Oval Office.  I am distressed that so many people want to re-elect a man who resorts to name-calling to become popular, here's a sampling of DJT's insults:

"Pocahantus" - Sen. Elizabeth Warren

"Birdbrain" - rival Nikki Haley

"Watermelon Head" - Sen. Adam Schiff

"Fat Pig" - Gov. Chris Christie

"Mr. Magoo" - Jeff Sessions

"Coco Chow" - Sec. Elaine Chao

and let's not forget the rudest, most insulting...

"Losers" - our Fallen Heroes

He pokes fun of Biden's speech impediment and McCain's wounded arms.  And people laugh.  I've said it before:  I'll vote for someone with a physical handicap over vile character flaws any day.

Next thing you know (if re-elected) Trump'll be using slurs so horrific we dare not even speak the word aloud.  How would you react if you heard him call VP Kamala Harris a Nigger?  Would that be OK because she's part of the opposition?  Go polish your head.

So if Donald Trump is re-elected and my predictions are correct, what do you think they'll do to me for calling him Mr. Tropicana with Tiny Hands?

Off to Siberia, 'cause he'll give us to Putin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment

Original gourd art designs Copyright 2024 Andrea Jansen Designs. Please write for permission.