"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner." Colette

Oct 17, 2021

The Final Third of Section 8

I'm down to 22 days remaining in The Hungry Games, or searching for Section 8 housing. In my initial post I explained what I'd learned through a Zoom orientation, which wasn't what I'd expected. In the meantime I've uncovered a bit more about some of the rules (in Oregon, but other states likely have similar rules) which I thought I'd pass along, from an online PDF: FAQ's about Section 8 and Source of Income Discrimination; but I'll pick out some parts here.

This first point is of utmost importance, for it applies to the rule, "No more than 30% of (our) income may be contributed towards the rent." During our orientation someone asked whether we, or someone else, could add any extra money to help meet the exorbitant rents but the answer was, No, or else (kicked out of the program for 3 years). But apparently that's not quite so:
"The Payment Standard limits how much subsidy the PHA will pay: Generally, the PHA will pay the difference between the total rent, up to the Payment Standard for that bedroom size, and 30 percent of the tenant’s income, with the exception that the tenant may pay up to 40 percent of income at the beginning of a tenancy. For example, if the Payment Standard for a 2-bedroom unit is $1,000 per month and the tenant’s income is $600, the tenant would pay 30 percent or $180 and the PHA would pay $820 of the rent. If the actual rent for a unit were less than the Payment Standard, the PHA would pay less. If it is more than the Payment Standard, the PHA won’t pay more but the tenant can pay more, up to 40 percent of income, in this case, $240, which would allow the tenant to rent a unit at $1,060 (the PHA’s $820 plus the tenant’s $240). But if the rent is above $1,060, in this example, the unit is ineligible for use with a voucher."
May sound like a bunch of gobbledygook but it boils down to adding almost $100 to my search, which could make a difference. When I wrote the Housing Lady I attached the same link as above and took considerable time composing my questions.  Here was her answer to the above: 
"Your adjusted monthly income minus eligible deductions equals 30% of your adjusted income. Your 40% is $_____" (an addition 93 bucks, so I guess the answer is Yes.)
Next was my question about whether or not I can lease month-to-month, which many rentals demand.  I still look at those listings, but so far none have allowed pets (that's not my cat).
"With exceptions described below, HUD requires that the initial lease or rental agreement term for Section 8 voucher tenancies be for one year; after that initial term, the tenancy term automatically converts to month-to-month (unless the landlord and the tenant agree to a longer term).

"HUD rules allow PHAs to accept initial lease terms of less than one year, if they find that such leases are customary in the community and that shorter terms improve housing opportunities for tenants. Practices vary around the state. Several Oregon PHAs currently accept less than one year leases, with some allowing 6- month leases, others month-to-month. Other PHAs are considering that change"
My answer: Jackson County allows month-to-month/one year lease. Nothing was mentioned during Zoom and I couldn't find anything on their website, I think they should mention that.

My final question was about using the voucher for renting a manufactured home space. I can't use it to rent an RV or RV space but I can use it to rent a manufactured home (I've only seen one advertised so far).  So during the Zoom meeting I asked the obvious: whether we can rent a MH SPACE.  The gal had to go find out and when she returned she typed, "
The only time that has happened was for a woman with her doctor's recommendation."  I thought that was pretty lame considering the lack of affordable housing everywhereBut in the PDF I read:
Q: "Are there types of rental units that are not eligible for occupancy by someone with a Section 8 voucher?"

A: "Yes, but very few. Section 8 voucher holders can use their vouchers with single room occupancy units, congregate care and group homes, cooperatives, shared housing, and manufactured homes where the tenant rents both the manufactured home and the space for the home. And, with PHA approval, Section 8 vouchers can even be used by individuals who own their manufactured home and rent the space."
"I take that to mean," I wrote the Housing Lady, "that if I own a manufactured home, my Section 8 can be used for the space. True?" In the back of my mind I'd been daydreaming about taking out a modest loan plus maybe some private financial help; but I can't afford a loan payment AND space rent without some help from Section 8.  Jeez, a loan payment would be much less than what the Housing Program currently subsidizes and would save Uncle Sam a bundle, there must be something wrong with that line of thinking.

So I thought I'd ask my Housing Lady again but this time her answer was:
"Yes. However, you can rent a mobile home as well. If the mobile is in a park the space rent and rent for the mobile itself need to be two separate amounts."
So there you have it; I copied her words exactly. I also screwed myself by submitting the wrong Social Security benefit letter. I sent the one I received last October but apparently missed the COLA increase in December, I didn't realize they sent another letter. It's only a few dollars percentage-wise, but every one counts.

Now here's the kicker: by now we've all heard that Social Security will increase 5.9% come December, but those award letters won't be available until December. Which will be too late for my current Section 8 time limit. I've got to get that 60-day extension but I can't apply for another week. And I know what they'll say about my future, increased income: the same as when I explained my previous mistake:
"If your income has changed you need to submit a Section 8 Change report and provide a copy of most recent Social Security Award letter."
It would have been nice if she'd attached or sent a link to that Form, but I tracked it down on their website. I had an account already set up with Social Security, so it was a SNAP to download my latest benefit letter.

Speaking of SNAP, I may have been unlike many of you who jumped for joy at hearing of the 5.9% increase. My first thought: 
"That's nice, but my SNAP benefits will be reduced accordingly."  They always do; I'm simply stating a fact.

My second thought was of the increasing number of unions (yay!) and other employees now demanding, and receiving, MUCH higher wages and benefits.  Hell, look at fast food restaurant salaries now.  But somehow I think the subsequent inflation rate will be greater than our measly little 5.9%, tell me I'm wrong.

So it won't make a difference to my wallet but TO THE HOUSING OFFICE IT WILL!  My current voucher is up on  Nov. 8th, and if I do get my extension it'll last another 60 days. I've faced eviction around holidays before, so it's no big deal. But I won't be able to 'officially' look for better housing until my December Social Security letter becomes available; they really ought to throw that consideration into the mix for ALL of us searching for housing.

Still trying to stay positive.

Photo notes:  I worked like a dog the past couple days trying to finish my teardrop before the cold, rainy Oregon weather returns, starting today.  Great for fire season so no one complains.  My hands and arms ached like hell while I worked and I kept reminding myself I wasn't painting the Sistine Chapel; but I can't resist detail work and didn't want to do a half-ass job.  I doubt I'll be painting much more in the future so I suppose this is my Swan Song.  Fortunately I use terrific paint (acrylics by Jo Sonja Jansen, no relation), and so even without varnish the paint will hold fast until we get some solid sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment

Original gourd art designs Copyright 2024 Andrea Jansen Designs. Please write for permission.