"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner." Colette

Jul 13, 2021

Why is Everyone so Nasty?

Q: If you have a complaint about something, do you first contact the perpetrator or immediately head for the keyboard to create a clever little review meant to cause irreparable harm?

A: Depends upon how old you are.

Completely in line with the crap I've dealt with recently, after 8 years my tiny Etsy shop had its first dissatisfied customer and, boy, was she a doozy. Rather than contact me directly (as I requested in my hand-written Thank You note, and again when I supplied the tracking number) she chose to give me a one-star rating and trashed the hell out of me as if I were Charles Manson.

It's a good thing I've been working to get Amy under control because I resisted her blistering retort before reading Etsy's fine print: "If you respond here, you forfeit the chance of having the review modified," or something to that effect.  In other words, Don't cut off that nose...

I've gotten so used to skimming Fine Print on boring bank documents that I rarely read them, but fortunately I caught this one and didn't post a word.  Of course the proper course was to contact the gal privately, kissing ass until I wanted to puke; but her review's the latest so it's the first one people see.

My Etsy shop is where I sell off personal possessions to supplement my Social Security. I don't have a whole lot left so the shop may close this year; but I've still got some nice things that're worth more than a couple of bucks. Lack of money does not mean lack of taste; the reverse is certainly true.

I really had to couch my words, including, "I wish you had contacted me first, as I wrote," but her response was, "I read your return policy before writing my review."  Well hell, anyone who reads my Blog knows I can be confusing in print; but does that mean I should be drawn and quartered?

Friends my age say, "F___ 'em," and perhaps you're saying the same; but don't you see that's the problem?  That's what these jerk's PARENTS, and their Parents, said in effect..."Let them do what they want, it's freedom of expression."  Lion cubs grow up, Mom always said.

While apologizing I added, "I'm a Senior and not the sharpest with managing my shop.  It supplements my income," hoping she felt guilty about beating up a Little Old Lady.  She did change her tone and her review, but still couldn't resist a crack to warn potential shoppers of my guile.

My only consolation is Chip's comment back in the '90's:  "Sooner or later, they all get it in the neck."  Feel free to use it.

P.S.  Well, I worked my tuckus off to make things right, and the gal changed her review to 5 stars and added a nice note.  So it was worth it, plus I learned a valuable lesson.  Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment

Original gourd art designs Copyright 2024 Andrea Jansen Designs. Please write for permission.