"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner." Colette

Jan 16, 2019

Beggars can't be Choosers


How to decrease the population? STARVE US.

Late breaking news for SNAP recipients:  "As a result of the partial federal government shutdown, the U.S Department of Agriculture has asked states to provide early issuance of February benefits for those who rely on SNAP for food security."  I don't understand why, but beggars can't be choosers, as Mom would say.

“We want to be clear that these are not additional funds that SNAP recipients are receiving, but an early issuance of February benefits,” stated Self-Sufficiency Director Kim Fredlund. “Those who typically see additional funds added to their EBT card the first week of each month will see their February money by Jan. 20, rather than at the beginning of next month.”

"A notification letter is being sent to current SNAP participants this week, and DHS is asking SNAP participants to carefully budget their food benefits through February."
(from KTVZ.com)

Surely they're joking.  I don't know about the rest of you, but when I've been out of something for awhile and suddenly receive a windfall, I go through it like wildfire. That especially applies to chocolate. I've already told you that my SNAP benefits were cut almost in half when I joined Social Security, and I'll share with you now that those benefits received a mere 12 days ago are already gone.  Even when I received my full allotment, I was usually out several days prior to the following month's deposit and survived on hot dogs and Vienna Sausages.

So they're hoping I'll be very disciplined and NOT spend February's benefits for 2 weeks.

Uh-huh. Mine'll likely be gone by February 1st, and I'll bet I'm not alone.  Assuming the shutdown will end soon, our next deposit should be March 5th.  Which means that due to our own faults entirely for being undisciplined, how many of us will starve while waiting for the Government to get back on schedule?

There are an awful lot of Americans, many of us homeless, who are not in full possession of their faculties and will not be able to fathom, or remember, why they have more spending power in the supermarket than they thought.

I'm lucky I receive a pension (that sounds nicer), so I can pay for my extra food, plus BC's. You now see many government employees at food banks.  Something's gotta give. In the meantime, I think I'll give a friend my SNAP card for safekeeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment

Original gourd art designs Copyright 2024 Andrea Jansen Designs. Please write for permission.