"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner." Colette

Feb 28, 2024

Pissed about Michigan Politics

I'm trying to be more compassionate of the killings in the Gaza Strip, but then something happens over here to derail that.  Friends and strangers alike may be shocked or disappointed in my views, but as long as I'm not spewing hate-speech, I am still entitled to express an unpopular POV.

I'm angry with the Muslim population in Michigan who successfully advocated voting 'uncommitted' in yesterday's Democratic primary.  They're upset we're supporting Israel and haven't stopped the war.  From what I've gathered, Presdient Biden is walking a fine line, hoping not to push Netanyahu over the edge by threatening too hard for a permanent cease-fire; while supporting  Israel AND  Palestine with two-state proposals and financial aid.  I don't know why people think any President is God, able to wave his hand and make everything better.

They're threatening to either not vote for President Biden, or vote for the other guy who's promising another Muslim ban, go figure.  Either way it's at the expense of the rest of the Democrats in the other 49 states.  Indeed, because over 100,000 cast Uncommitted, organizers elsewhere are encouraged.  If they throw the election, they'd better not complain when they're targeted, that's all I can say. I know, that wasn't very nice; but can you say, without a shadow of a doubt, that'll never happen?

I'll admit, I'm more intimidated by Palestinian demonstrators wrapped in their scarves, faces hidden, than pro-Israeli supporters. What are they about to do that they feel the need to cover up like terrorists?  Maybe it's the way news videos are edited. 

But my bias began earlier.  You saw the same campus From the River to the Sea bullshit as I did.  That doesn't sound like people trying to get along to me.  Closer to home, I watched Palestinian  demonstrators block traffic on the Portland airport exit around Christmastime.  They didn't care who was inconvenienced; they wanted to make their point and to hell with the rest of us.  Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindis, Buddhists and others, simply trying to catch a flight to enjoy loved ones.  Seems to me if the demonstrators wanted to make a point they could have gone to the Capital in Salem, or the Portland Major's office.  It happened elsewhere as well, but what did they accomplish except to piss-off people who hadn't been particularly pissed before?

We don't have a huge Palestinian population in Portland...about 4%, so I questioned the underlying motives of many of the demonstrators, who I suspect were actually 'outsiders' intent on causing trouble.  I could be wrong.

I also question why so many Palestinians are in Michigan anyway, the climate's certainly not the draw. Were they recently fleeing poverty and persecution in Gaza and the West Bank, just as those attempting to cross the southern border?  Or have their families been here a long time, like my own immigrant grandparents?  Kinda biting-the-hand, dontcha think?

What if we ALL protested and demanded that injustices against our forefathers be redressed?  Going back how far?  The way we're all mixed up, and I mean that in the nicest way, no one would be exempt.

Now lest you think I'm a total racist, I do happen to feel that Netanyahu could have done things a bit differently to prevent such high casualties.  But since I didn't experience 9/11 like most of you here in the States (I lived on a boat in Puerto Rico), I can't really empathsize with the range of emotions which that disaster provoked.  I suspect it's what the Israelis feel now; except they're also waiting for the return of hostages, while we only had to dig out the dead.

Then we went to war in Iraq, our country's anger lashing out. Looking for non-existent weapons of mass destruction, tearing up the country, isn't that what happened?  Did other countries try to tell us not to go down that road, but we were determined to exact revenge?  Was that right or wrong?

I would like to pose a hypothetical for you:  If some other minority population...let's say Somalians...or Uyghurs...or Swedes...suddenly threatened to throw the election if they didn't get what they wanted, what would you say?  It's the threatening I object to more than the reason behind it.

I am neither Jewish nor Muslim...just a sideliner; but my sentiments are likely shared by others (not necessarily for the same reasons).  So my purpose for this post is to share my reasoning a bit, to help people on the other side of the fence understand why people like me feel the way (we) do.  Rightly or wrongly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment

Original gourd art designs Copyright 2024 Andrea Jansen Designs. Please write for permission.