"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner." Colette

Mar 27, 2022

On Encouragement

"Encouragement is like oxygen to the Soul.  Give it freely to keep those around you going." *

I'm moving in 4 days.  RV's emptied, cleaned and up for sale, take a peek at the ad for the photos, if nothing else.  Been working like a dog to make it presentable after living in it full-time for almost 6 years, my baby, boohoo.  When I first bought it in 2015, I started with painting the shower, then the kitchen, then all the cabinets plus the Blue Door.  I'd love to do something like that now, but I don't have the energy.  I hate the ugh-brown of my current RV's cabinets, but I'm covering everything with artwork, mine and by others which I can't pass up in Goodwills, so perhaps it's best to do nothing.

I have one last volunteer gig at the Craterian today, working Concession for the first time since Covid closed the theater.  It'll be a matinee performance by the Rogue Valley Symphony; and ticket-holders for that always drink lots of wine, which I'll pour while entertaining with banter.  I'll miss seeing free shows, but I'll volunteer in my next home-town so something else interesting will take that place.  But wouldn't you know:  Pablo Cruise will be performing in May, shit shit shit...maybe I can swing a weekend trip.

I had my tires rotated three times in the past two weeks, if that gives you an idea of how things have been going; but I keep the Gold Ring in my sights, and while I've been tempted dozens of times recently to throw up my arthritic hands and cry, 'F**k it!', I remind myself, "You only have to do this ONCE."

It's been difficult keeping Amy under control at times, you can imagine; but I keep replaying the classic movie, Harvey, when Elwood P. Dowd explains, "I could be oh-so smart, or oh-so pleasant."  He chose to be Oh-so Pleasant and so will I.  Damn, talk about hard.

I had a wonderful encounter with a woman of similar veins yesterday who came to look at my RV.  Of course I talked up a storm which she didn't mind; and so when I explained (Alter-Ego) Amy she said, "Mine's called Boudica."  We're not alone, in more ways than one.

Katie was quite encouraging all-round, but also recognized a kidred spirit; and no, she's not buying my rig but she's not the right buyer.  Too bad I'm leaving; I'm sure we'd have become friends. She brought along a friend, also friendly and chatty, and selling my RV became the LAST thing on  my mind.  What I needed they provided without spending anything more than their time.

I've said for years that the hardest thing about living alone is the lack of encouragement.  Have you noticed that it's increasingly difficult for many people to give?  I don't get it; it doesn't cost a thing.  Ex: by not turning away from someone begging on the corner.  Look them in the eyes, smile and acknowledge them.  I don't always have the small cash to give, but I've never had anyone NOT smile and/or speak a word or two.  With homelessness becoming a larger topic, you've surely heard the lament, (sic) I feel I am invisible.  Nobody likes feeling like that.

Practice-pulling my teardrop begins on Monday, so I washed my car yesterday.  Sally will be sitting in the co-pilot seat for encouragement, as she did when I practiced pulling my Winnebagoo, read 10 Pounds of Pants.

Other than that the only thing is to paint two signs for Pastor Chad's Rogue Retreat office wall, because I don't have the time to paint the wall the way I'd like to.  In line with not loading myself up with chores until the 11th hour, I opted for my quick-vines and flowers, but they like it. They can fill up the wall with framed stuff.

This, too, shall pass.

* One of the phrases from one of the signs I'm painting.  CHORE represents: 
"Compassion is the wish to see others free from suffering." Dalai Lama.
"Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom"  Thomas Jefferson
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.."  Thomas Edison.
"Respect,: a shared responsibility for the common good."  Unknown
"Encouragement is like oxygen for the soul.  Give it freely to keep those around you going,"  Unknown

1 comment:

  1. i am so happy for your relocation and am sending strong vibes for a bidding war over your old rv. xxx

    ReplyDelete

Add a comment

Original gourd art designs Copyright 2024 Andrea Jansen Designs. Please write for permission.