One time in particular stands out (c.1983) when White Sands Missile Range, NM, hired tree trimmers to address the entire base; and they were about as good as the contractor who painted the Reflection Pool. Men wielding chainsaws were all over the place, indiscriminately disfiguring the trees without any perceived expertise."In the United States military, there is no direct criminal charge or specific Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ) article titled "failure to control dependents." However, a service member can still face serious command or administrative actions if their family members break laws, violate base rules, or cause major disruptions."
![]() |
| With Papillon-mix, Boots |
So what does the young fellow do? Takes his chainsaw and cuts the tree off halfway down, smiling at the lady. That's not the only story I heard; and they weren't exactly difficult to prove.
I had two apricot trees next to one another in the backyard and I can't stand apricots. Our first year there the trees were full of them, dropping all over the place, nasty mess. Neighbors came by to take whatever they wanted, blech.During the second year I became interested in canning, probably because for a year I'd heard over and over about the possibilities I was wasting. I'd watched Mom try canning one time - the boiling water and glass jar-bit, no thanks. Then I found a recipe for preserves you only needed to stick in the freezer after cooking, lasts 6 months; I could manage that.
But when it came time, there were no apricots. There had been hardly any flowers but I hadn't put two-and-two together (as I say, not a horticulturist). I was so bummed - had the jars and the know-how - then I learned that trees don't bear fruit every year.
OK, live and learn. Third year comes around and the trees were loaded with flowers, both of 'em, just turning to fruit; when I came home from work to discover my beautiful trees had been raped. This one in the front was hacked up somewhat but the back - all the flowering limbs were gone and my shock turned to anger - they couldn't have waited a couple of weeks - gone on to other houses then come back? (Photo: my '79 MG Midget - wasn't she a beaut?)Anyone with a suggestion, comment (or complaint, I took it to mean) was free to call the Commanding General's Tip Line, so I did. I gave my opinion of the workers; rebuked the Army for doing the opposite of what they asked of us: caring for the miilitary's housing; and invoking Lizzie Borden at some point.![]() |
| Mom on my Christmas call |
So that's my backstory. Still, it's not fair to compare the relatively-comfy conditions (we) experienced back then and what's happening now. However, in today's world of instant gratification, impatience with anything longer than 10 seconds and inability to communicate to an actual person, what am I to think? What are Vietnam Veterans to think?
It's hard for servicemembers to ask for mental help, for whatever goes into your record can make the difference between being promoted and being RIF'd, or asked to leave. But isn't that what friends are for? Didn't anyone other than a wife (via text) on the other side of the world notice something was wrong? Whose fault is that? I've known more than one person who got out of the military by convincing doctors they're crazy - I think I'd try that before diving off the deck of an aircraft carrier. Not everyone's cut out for the military, no shame in that.
My take, that's all. Therefore, in this instance I don't 100% believe either 'side', not that I'm defending Hegseth. But like so many things, I believe the truth lies somewhere in the middle. I hope they all safely return home soon.
PS: I came to love mixing apricot preserves with a bit of soy sauce and lemon as a basting sauce for pork. I even grew to enjoy Hee Haw.









No comments:
Post a Comment
Add a comment