"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner." Colette

Jul 10, 2023

Buttercup and Me, The Story of Us

I lost BC to cancer a year ago today.  I didn't know it was cancer until test results came back afterwards, so at least she went quickly and with little discomfort.  For several years, I prayed to God that when he took BC he'd take me, too; since for 12 years, wherever we visited, it was, "Take me, take my dog."

I almost convinced myself that would happen; even while driving to her hospital appointment...I hoped we'd be wrapped around a tree if the verdict was bad news.  No such luck - God's keeping me alive, I've told you.  For spite.

BC came into my life in 2010, shortly after my last breakup.  The Captain actually helped me acquire her, I must reluctantly give him credit.  I'd been searching for a Bearded collie and contacted a rescue organization.  Early one morning, something told me to turn on the computer and check emails.

"There's a Beardie named Cupcake in the Klamath Falls Rescue.  Act fast!"

'Cupcake,' ugh, but I could change the name.  Of course, it happened to be the one day I had plans to attend a performance during the Ashland Shakespeare Festival with a couple I'd met in the RV park.  I hardly had two nickels to rub together at the time and couldn't afford to abandon my matinee ticket on a chance.

So I called 'Cap,' who was living near Klamath Falls; we were still speaking at the time.  He agreed to go to the rescue to take a look, and on the drive home from the performance my phone rang.

"Well, Cupcake was a Chihuaha, but they had a Beardie-looking dog named Buttercup.  If you don't want her, I'll keep her - she's adorable."

BC was originally owned by a couple in California, who got tired of bailing her out of doggy-jail.  Then she was rescued by a farmer in Klamath Falls but he brought her back, she didn't work out.  I was her third try.

Next day I drove to Chiloquin to pick her up.  I was used to our tri-color collie, Czar, who'd passed away a year-and-a-half before, but Buttercup was nothing like him.  I prayed she'd grow on me.

Cap had already replaced Czar with another collie and the two dogs got along beautifully; but even then BC was a bit domineering.  I'm sure my Exes would say the same about me, so it seems we were made for one another.

BC got along with every dog she met, if under the right circumstances.  It was only later that she became territorial when it came to me; plus she was attacked by a couple dogs.  Traumatized us both, me more than her.

The Rescue advised she needed to be kept on a leash or else she'd bolt.  Cap, whose collies were always off-leash, warned me it was true.  We tried again but she bolted and we had to chase her around the neighborhood, not easy for a couple of 50-year olds.

But I wanted what I wanted and tried one more time.  I was tossing a ball when a loud POP stopped Buttercup in her tracks.  Her ears went back and I knew what was coming.  She wasn't responding to Buttercup so what could I call her to get her to stop?

B-Cup came to mind, but I was afraid people would think I was bragging. 😁 So I hollered, "BC" and she stopped dead in her tracks; not certain if it was the the name or the volume, but she's been BC ever since.

BC wasn't a Bearded collie but more of a Border collie-mix (with some kind of terrier).  So many people thought that's why I named her BC; I always asked if I look that lame.

Alls I know is I wanted a dog which looked like it jumped out of a Disney movie, and I think I got one.

So that's how BC and I found one another. I began this blog when we were setting out for parts unknown, locally at first, but later a couple cross-country ventures.

DOG is my co-pilot - it's true.  She sat up front with me, starting with my F150.  I put a bucket in the floor area of the passenger seat, then piled on a dog bed and blankets, and used a bed lounger (courtesy of Goodwill) to keep her away from the dashboard, it was the best I could do. When I got to my cousin's place in Maryland, he took one look at BC's setup and declared,

"When I die, I want to come back as your dog!"

Here she is in Medford Oaks, our first RV park in Eagle Point.  She already knew how to catch a Frisbee, but I had to learn how to throw one.  I hope she's enjoying hereself, wherever she is.

I've created several Shutterfly photo books of our travels together, so I've got loads of memories within reach.  It seems that BC stayed with me long enough until I was finally established in a safe place and no longer struggling.

But still, I miss her as much as ever. Our relationship was truly one of My Rescue Rescued Me.  Thank goodness for BooBoo, her stuffed buddy I picked up at a garage sale that first meeting in Chiloquin.  Not the same as living, breathing, but BooBoo gives me something to cry into.

 "No, no, don't get weepy, girl, keep on keeping on."

Or as Miguel would say, "Don't get off the bus!"


7 comments:

  1. Lovely tribute! She was an amazing being, for she was more human than dog! I'm so glad things worked out as they did when you found her to give you both these many years of companionship, travel, adventure and love. Always in y/our heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, I was very fortunate, sweet girl.

      Delete
  2. I am so glad you found each other!!! That's quite a tale (tail??). xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. that was from Robin, not anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had good memories of U AND BUTTERCUP at the lake in South Carolina I could tell she loved u
    Sincerely Bobby ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Bobby, we sure enjoyed our time in SC

    ReplyDelete

Add a comment

Original gourd art designs Copyright 2024 Andrea Jansen Designs. Please write for permission.