"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner." Colette

Mar 6, 2024

Let's Hope for Civility

Nikki Haley was gracious as she bowed out of the Presidential race this morning; particularly considering how her rival rudely announced her donors were not welcome in the MAGA movement, you know who I'm talking about.  I haven't yet heard, but I'm sure (he) will be nasty towards Nikki, while sucking up to her supporters for some cold, hard cash for legal bills.

I've never been a fan of Sen. Kyrsten Sinema; she was annoying in her opposition to something or other; but I'm sorry to hear she's leaving Congress.  Just another decent politician sick of what Capitol Hill has become.  The same goes for Mitt Romney and Mitch McConnell, plus those who lost their reelection bids.  We may not miss their views, but we'll certainly miss their civility.

Name-calling is so low, it's truly embarassing to hear it from someone bucking for the highest position in the nation.  What would you tell your child or grandchild if they came home crying after being a target of such rude behavior?  Gesu bambino!

As for the Incumbent:  beware shouts of, "He's Too Old!"  I don't know about you, but I'd prefer a 'seasoned' surgeon tackling my ticker over an over-eager Intern any day.  Old People have been belittled in American society for generations, compared to other cultures, you know it's true.  Boomers are being discounted more and more, so it's only a matter of time before our rights are reversed or significantly cut.  Handicap Parking will be the first to go, they want those spaces.

When, exactly, IS too old?  I've seen 90-year-olds sharper and in better physical condition than 50-year olds, so who has the right to arbitrarily assign Infirmity an age?

Tomorrow will be President Biden's final State of the Union speech before November's election.  I hate to think of the boo's and cat-calls from younger members on the right or left, you know who I mean.  Emboldened by Super Tuesday's results, will they deride their 'elders' who, maintaining respect at least for the Institution, try to shush them?

It's going to be a long 8 months.  If we all practice Civility despite our differences, perhaps our leaders will be shamed into following suit.  Everybody's heard, "Take the High Road", and promises to bring the country together.  Now's the time to practice what we preach.

1 comment:

  1. I remember Michelle Obama trying to lead by example and model this civility!

    ReplyDelete

Add a comment

Original gourd art designs Copyright 2024 Andrea Jansen Designs. Please write for permission.