"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner." Colette

Nov 24, 2021

Turkeys Without Feathers, Pt. 2

While I waited for the Property Management representative I decided to take a peek around the house.  I couldn't tell for certain which windows belonged to my apartment so I didn't press my face against the glass.  I tip-toed around the corner, past the chimney, and saw a small door in the back with a #3 on it. It was more private back there, with a nice patch of lawn.  I tried to determine which part of the lawn could be considered 'mine' for BC's midnight trips outside.  Here's a link to the listing, with photos.

I tried to walk BC up and down the street but it felt awkward for some reason.  I imagined taking her for walks around the block (I carry a can of pepper spray) but based on what I saw I wasn't crazy about the idea of walking her in the dark, which is why I was questioning the lawn-space.

So the rep pulls up; fellow in his 40's, I'd guess, unlocks the funky lock on the front door, steps inside to turn on the lights and says to me, he says,

"Have fun looking around," and away he walks.  The first thing I tried to ignore when I stepped inside was the condensation on the front windows.  "Oh, no, I already wipe down my RV windows every day during the winter.  I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that in a real home." Stop, Andrea, don't be so picky.  It is an OLD home.

It was immediately apparent the online photos were taken some time ago, after the place was fixed up (these photos are from the listing).  What I saw was dozens upon dozens of holes in the walls, paint peeling in spots, dusty like it hadn't been lived in for awhile, but what could I expect for only $995?  (According to the listing, the rent's gone up $200 since 2018.)

I brought along my camera with the intention of taking lots of pictures to pour over while play-decorating at home; but I only took one and it came out badly.  The online photos looked so much better than reality anyway, so if I'm fantasizing I'd rather do it with the the prettier pictures. Well, I guess I don't have to worry about whether or not it's OK to hang stuff on the walls.  My quilts can cover quite a bit, once I retrieve them from storage.

Something triggered memories of my grandparent's home in Greenpoint, Brooklyn, circa 1950s --not the architecture but the oldness of the place.  I took a stroll through the rooms, trying to ignore the negatives and focus on the positives.  Lots of closet space and cabinets galore, at least to my RV eyes.  My first thought when looking at the open red cabinets in the kitchen was, "What keeps everything from falling on to the floor?"  I've lived on a boat and in RV's for far too long.

From the kitchen there was a hallway leading to the bedroom and bathroom.  The bedroom windows looked directly out to #3's front, but I could keep the blinds closed. 

Wow, I've never seen a full-size hot water heater inside someone's bathroom (to the right of the toilet, when you first walk in, not shown). I could 'skirt' a piece of fabric around it to at least cover the labels. The high ceilings made the place look cavernous and I wondered about the heating costs.  I asked the man a number of specifics but most of them he couldn't answer.  He's just the guy who unlocks the door.

He thought all utilities were included, the ad didn't specify, but I said, "They can't be, not the electricity.  I'd be really surprised."  I've had outrageous electric bills in my tin-can RV's, so that's another thing I was hoping to avoid. He tried explaining the ceiling heater/air conditioner in the bedroom and living room, but I didn't understand.  The only thing I kept thinking was hot air rises, doesn't it?  There weren't any ceiling fans to help push it down, so how does that work?  There was some kind of vent between the LR and Kitchen, plus the chimney undoubtedly helped keep things toasty back when, but it's closed up now.  I'd sure hate to have to use space heaters, stop it, Andrea, don't anticipate!

I picked up a huge second-hand basket to paint.  "This could be fun next to the non-fireplace, filled with Tahoe pinecones."  I also picked up a lidded crock for making moonshine and a couple of 'vintage' planters for my future patio or whatever (below) but decided to sell one since I'll probably break it in the RV (currently running a holiday sale on my Etsy shop, forgive the plug).

Keep three, sell one
"STOP IT," Amy screamed and screamed, but I'd already convinced myself that the unfortunate experience I'd had with the Craigslist home swiped from Zillow was Providence simply making me aware that Zillow listed rentals.  After all, if that hadn't happened I never would have looked and found this place, and the woman from the Application Department had given me real hope that after all my work these past years cleaning up my credit report, I'd be successful.

But I don't know...it this really worth it?  I went outside, bummed.  The man was there so I started asking questions, which as I said he couldn't really answer.  I decided to take another look inside, and this time he came along.

"Do you know if the owner's planning on painting the place?"  The Housing Office has a list of acceptable-and-un requirements for habitable places, and peeling paint was one of the no-no's.

"I don't know; it's up to the owner.  You can ask the office to ask him."  Are you kidding?  And risk being turned down?  When I mentioned hanging things on the wall he answered, "Sure you can; you don't even have to fill the holes when you leave."  That was obvious.  The holes were certainly from more than one tenant, unless they had a lazy eye like me and can't hang pictures evenly.

As we spoke he opened up, so I started asking about the safety of the neighborhood (it's a Baby Food plant at the end of the street, quieter on weekends) and he said there wasn't much of a problem with the homeless.  I said it wasn't the homeless I was worried about but kids; gangs; this could be someone's turf, like he'd tell me. This may not be the Bronx, but Medford has one of the highest crime rates in the nation. He never heard of any problems.

I suppose I can stay indoors; I pretty much do that now already.  But there's a difference between remaining indoors because you want to and because you're nervous about going outside. Remember, that big, friendly guy lives next door. I can't believe I'm turning in to a wuss. 

A woman with a small dog lives in the apartment to the right; yes, that's her front window.  I was hoping it was a little porch area of my own but oh, well.  I asked who lived in #3 in the back and he said he couldn't really say, to preserve privacy; just like he couldn't tell them about me.  He did finally say it was a single fellow, quiet.

I told him how I found the listing on Zillow, adding that I didn't know Zillow handled rentals.

"They don't, and we don't advertise on Zillow."

The room started to spin.  "Am I in the middle of a scam right now?"

"I hope not.  I've got (the company logo) on my shirt, on the car..." and on the pen he was holding, for some reason.

Well hell, you can have those made anywhere. Jeez, I've watched countless episodes of 'Criminal Minds'; have I learned nothing?

He assured me this was for real, and said I was 'really lucky' to have found the listing. He checks on vacant properties all the time, only to find people living inside.

"I've gone into houses for sale which have people living there with their furniture and everything.  They say, 'I'm renting this,' and I have to tell them, 'No, you're not.'.  People swear they've paid rent and deposits."

"How can that happen?"

"They may be told to break a back window to get in, because the lock's broken.  These aren't the brightest people."

They're certainly gullible. Indeed, when I called about a listing weeks ago I was told by 'the owner' he was having trouble with the Realtor so, "Ignore the sign out front."

Later on, after my 'viewing,' I was telling this story to a stranger who told me about a friend who'd sent a money order for hundreds of dollars to some unfamiliar address, even after being shown and explained that it was a scam.

"She didn't believe me," the woman said, "she was so desperate; she swore it was for real."

OK, back to the house. The man and I talked about the architecture, for it is, or was, a charming house.  "It's old alright. Oldest one in the neighborhood, if not all of Medford."

"It certainly has lots of character."  I was leaning towards the Yes side of renting but doubted I'd qualify over others.

"Unlike every other Property Management firm in the area," he proudly said, "we do not accept first come-first served.  We wait and evaluate all applicants so that we find a good mix for the property."  Well, that was encouraging, and it would give me some time to decide.  I wouldn't have to turn over the money order I'd brought after all; I've gone stupid, folks.

When I got home I wrote down the Pros and Cons.  Pros included a designated parking space; close to downtown activities; and big guys to help lift things.  Cons included no place for the teardrop; additional living expenses; and no place to tie BC outside.  There were plenty more in both columns, but in the end the decision was taken out of my hands.

To briefly recap, I'd applied Saturday morning, less than 1/2 hour after it was posted.  Their office was closed the weekend so I made contact first thing Monday morning.  Their Reps were already booked all day, so I had the 1st  appointment Tuesday morning. But Tuesday evening, when I looked for the listing (associated with my 'secure link') to help my decision-making process, it was already GONE.  Vanished.

Here's an excerpt from their application's fine print: 

APPLICATION FEE: Non-refundable.  Any adult (18 years of age or older) is required to complete a separate application and pay the one-time, NON-refundable application fee of $45. This fee, which is authorized by ORS 90.295, is for screening, which includes, but is not limited to checking applications for completeness, calculating sufficient income requirements, checking references, and obtaining a consumer credit report or tenant screening report..

When I filled out the online application, I checked the box for a Free Copy of their report.  If nothing else I'd get to see what they've got on me. I couldn't believe I let them take my money as easily as that.

Fortunately, I didn't let the disappointment send me in to a tailspin like before, but I don't mind telling you I became totally jaded.  I still am.  I finally received an email on Thursday with the following:

"The property that you applied for is no longer available.  The first qualified and approved applicant has signed their lease agreement.  Please note that you do have the option to transfer your completed application to another available property.  Feel free to view (our website) and email me back if you wish to be transferred."

I'd kept an email from Zillow asking to rate my experience, so I wrote about what I perceived as a perfect 'bait and switch'.  I was pissed but wrote back thanking the gal for the news I already knew, and requested my Free Copy, as advertised, so I could see what I got for my $45.

"It looks like your application credit check/background check was not processed. At this point, we can either hold your application for 90 days until another property you like is available, at which point we can transfer or we can offer you a refund at this time."

Why didn't she offer that in the first place?  I wrote that I'd like the refund; but asked why my application was not processed after we spoke on the phone Monday morning.

"I don’t have any notes in your application at this point so  I cannot give an exact answer on that. I usually try to wait until an applicant views a property to run the credit check, that way if they don’t like the property, we can get them a refund. Or at that time, we had someone approved and at that point I hold off on continuing processing other applications."

I told her that wasn't my understanding but thanked her for the clarification; I was really trying to control Amy, at least until I get my money back. I turned down the 90-day transfer, explaining,

"If you'd already processed my application I might consider the offer; but if a suitable property did become available, I'd still have to wait for days; meaning chances are pretty good someone else who doesn't need anything processed would be accepted first, even if they applied after me."  I'm not saying they're discriminating against Section 8'ers, but does it sound like that to you?  Impossible to prove, the Housing Office warned us during our September orientation.

A friend sent me a link to an NBC story about 'Fake Landlord' Scams.  It's absolutely shameful that this goes on; I'd never heard about it until it happened to me.

"It's hard to get your hopes up then dashed time after time so I will wait for my refund, thank you."

So that's where things stand today.  I'm gonna work on my Christmas ornaments for a more pleasant diversion, so Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

P.S.  To read what's next, visit For the Sake of 60 Bucks.  Here's a link to Part 1 of this story, Not All Turkeys Have Feathers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment

Original gourd art designs Copyright 2024 Andrea Jansen Designs. Please write for permission.