"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner." Colette

May 27, 2021

Doggy Diabetes

I've been trying to avoid reality for the past 2 weeks; since I learned my darling BC has doggy diabetes. I've mentioned I'm a Christian Scientist (who wavers from the rules a bit); and whenever I have my state-required Wellness visit I've instructed the doctor to only tell me if I should drink more milk or eat a banana but NOT if something's really wrong, because I won't do anything about it anyway. But I don't push my views on my dog, who can't choose for herself.

All of a sudden BC was dragging her tuckus yards behind me and sleeping most of the day. She had a healthy appetite but was drinking more water than usual, and the morning of her Vet appointment she had an accident in her bed, that's never happened before.

They wouldn't let me in to the clinic of course, so I waited in the car, editing my book and expecting them to come out and say she had a vitamin deficiency.  They wouldn't get the blood results until later and couldn't guess at the problem no matter how many times I asked; and so the doctor called me after 5pm.

"BC has diabetes...blah-beedie-blah-blah, glucose levels, blah-beedie-blah; I'm so sorry," then she asked if I wanted to go ahead with treatment; not everyone  does.  What were the alternatives?  "She goes into a coma and dies or she's put down."  Those aren't alternatives. "Then you'll need to bring her in tomorrow morning for insulin, blah-beedie-blah.  I'm so sorry."

"I'm sorry, doctor; I'm a Christian Scientist and don't understand..."

"I'm a Christian, too...I know it's hard..."

"No, I'm a Christian Scientist (letting the words sink in a moment) and don't understand the first thing about diabetes, or how to give a shot."

"We'll show you, don't worry; oh, and also, blah-beedie-blah-blah.  Have a good evening."

So following tears and hair-wrenching I started looking up everything I could about diabetes in dogs. It's not a death sentence; and the doctor said they caught BC in time. I watched a half-dozen YouTube videos of people administering injections so I'd have a heads-up for the next day; learned it's better to miss a shot than give more; and that the clear Karo syrup the doctor told me to buy is in case BC goes into shock or has a seizure, I rub that on her gums.

Prescriptions were mentioned: for the insulin and syringes; one to clear up her UTI, a result of the diabetes; and one for the prescription-only food, available in pet stores. I was in such shock I had to ask, "Pet stores?"

"Petco..." Of course Petco, PetSmart, what an idiot.

We discussed the price of insulin (she knows I'm on a budget) and rather than the Hupple-te-pup brand sold in Vet clinics, including theirs, she suggested we first try the less expensive (by more than half) Novolin sold at Walmart and see how BC does; about $30 a vial (and perfectly safe, I read before buying).  I assumed one vial was for each injection, and at 2 shots per day I couldn't possibly keep that up, no matter how much I love my dog;  but the pharmacist said it should last about a month.  It's been over 2 weeks and I still have half a vial left; the box of 100 syringes cost around $10; and the separate prescription for the piddling wasn't much, either. Not so bad.

What will be spendy is the prescription food I must buy, at least for now.  It runs around $35 for an 8 pound bag, I almost fell over in PetSmart (an Alpo-size can of wet is $3.75).  But then I considered the money I'll save by not buying all those extra treats for BC; fancy brands with quality ingredients, I spoiled her so; so her monthly food bill shouldn't send me further into the poorhouse.

The real financial hit comes from doctor's visits and all the tests, no wonder she asked if I wanted to proceed.  The first visit was close to $300 (plus about $100 for all the stuff); I took her back for a follow-up visit the other day and she needed a shot, and that bill was just over $100.  Then she goes back on June 4th for an all-day glucose-level test, I worried about by the hour but the gal said it would only be $81; the boarding was free.  I'm sure there will be necessary tack-on's, I'm not complaining, just planning.  Then, at least for the first year, there will be periodic glucose tests to make certain we've got her on the correct dosage.

I can be grateful this was discovered while we're still in Oregon, and not heading cross-country or in 'Jersey, I can't imagine what this would have cost there.  I should ask if I can barter painting murals inside their new facilities; it worked in Puerto Rico.

Fear has been the hardest thing for me to handle, particularly since I don't want BC to experience any additional anxiety; so it's time to push down those thoughts and pull up my big-girl panties, again.  I've been giving her 10mg (or whatever) injections twice a day, right after meals. She's been pretty good about me actually getting the needle into her skin because of my poor depth perception; but I keep her busy with the treat she IS allowed:  a schmear of PB on a cow hoof, with a couple slices of cucumbers, YUM.  We now eat at the same time, at 12 hour intervals, with veggies for lunch.  I sneak my own snacks while she's outside snoozing; I peek before I munch and close the windows so she doesn't smell the oatmeal cookies.

It's not necessary for me to completely understand the clinical stuff about diabetes.  It's my responsibility to follow the doctor's instructions as best I can, and the rest is up to God.  I am happy to report BC perked up almost immediately; cleared up her UTI lickety-split and after about 7 days she started walking alongside me again.  This morning she jumped up into bed to wake me up; I never mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment

Original gourd art designs Copyright 2024 Andrea Jansen Designs. Please write for permission.