"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner." Colette

Oct 4, 2026

"All Things Considered..."

...I said to Manager Rhonda, "Considering our cable TV service has ended; I owe the dentist $700; and my best buddies are all leaving, I'm doin' OK."

These past 5 months have been tough:  coming to grips with the fact that my managers of 4+ years, Miss Rhonda and Mr. Jimmy, are moving on.  I can't say enough nice things about their management styles and personalities, so I won't.  Like many Workampers, they didn't intend on remaining in one place as long as they have; and so after 6 years they are ready to move on.

Always supportive, Rhonda and Jim helped me through my grief over BC.  If it wasn't for them I probably wouldn't have gotten my Smart Phone, theirs was my first photo.  And I'm FAR better at hospitality than I was 4 years ago; although Rhonda jokes,

"Well that's a pretty low bar."

I was devastated but enthusiastic for them; for like the boating lifestyle, RV'ing means people come and go on to new adventures.  Lucky them - they'll be leading a caravan down to Mexico for the winter, they taking time to explore more of the U.S.

The "D's" have travelled throughout the world more than anyone I've known, exotic and otherwise.  With years of experiences guiding groups for travel firms, they now plan trips through the Next Big Adventure, check out their website.

Our friends typically travel with an older black Lab such as Ryder (bottom rock), rescued the day they arrived. After I painted a rock with BC's portrait I asked Rhonda if she'd like one, and the next day she came in with 4 photos. Our rocks needed retouching after years of weathering, but this time Rhonda coated them all with epoxy; a skill she learned last summer for a guest project.  The memento will be all the more poignant, for sadly, Ryder's time has come.  We're all grieving with them, yet appreciative how new surroundings will be beneficial.

They leave November 1st and time is growing short, but I've grown accustomed to the idea, more or less.  Shortly after delivering the blow to us all, I cried as I told them that while I'm sorry to see them leave I am also grateful to have had them for 4 years, boo hoo.

Last winter we lost a couple of maintenance Workampers who had become like brothers, and more my age.  One was 9 days younger which gave me permission to push him around. They'd both been here 7 or 8 years, and moved south for health and family reasons.


This year summer Workamper Rosemary (all these folks here with their spouses) and I worked on a quilt she presented her husband at the end of the season. Each year she and Richard park in the spot next to mine from mid-April until September; at which time they return to their home outside of Las Vegas.  It's the closest thing I have to bonafide 'neighbors' and I love it.

Another Workamper who has been here one year less than me suddenly announced that she, too, was leaving the 1st of November.  I had to steady myself.  We always have lots of fun; too much at times, we're scolded.  At least she's only moving about 10 miles down the road.

"If Dave says he's leaving, too, they y'all just tie my extremities to your bumpers and pull - get it over quick!"

Dave assured me he'll stay; although he and Chris have yet to return from their lengthy vacation visiting family, that's always risky.  Grandchildren tug at Workamper's hearts, I've seen it before.

The dental bill was a surprise last week, for I discovered I'm now considered one step UP from indigent and therefore kicked off part of my medical plan, like so many others.

Surprise! the receptionist said when I went in a for a cleaning.  "You're already up to $700; I didn't think you'd want to add (insult to insury)."

That amount included an emergency visit - I'm not even covered for that?  I was completely gobsmacked and vowed to pay whatever I owe after speaking to my insurance people, there must be some mistake.

There had been a glitch in my records last year which caused some incorrect billing, but this time it was my fault for not comprehending their insurance information - when you're wrong you're wrong, but ouch!

So I whipped out a credit card and paid them, lesson learned. Still, it's difficult to endure while watching our President host grandiose events profiting his family, cronies and foreign dictators.  Trump's taking from people like (us) to fund his propaganda commercials and labeling me an enemy of the people?  Doesn't seem right.

And finally, cable TV?  It was antiquated and the park recently upgraded our (free) WiFi, which is great; but no more CNN or MSNow, just as well.  My antenna picks up air channels including the 5 major networks, that's enough.

Free Ice Cream!

I don't pay for any cable subscription nor do I watch podcasts and such; so fortunately Rosemary recommended those Amazon Firesticks.  Works great for watching Prime's LiveTV channels on my TV instead of the laptop.  I did figure out how to read/watch snippets from those other networks later in the day, which is fine with me.  Not having 24/7 availability is a good thing.

So as I say, all things considered, I'm doing fine, thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment

Original gourd art designs Copyright 2025 Andrea Jansen Designs. Please write for permission.