"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner." Colette

Aug 15, 2019

Benefits for Illegals

"They took away my food stamps," one gal from the Village explained to me the other day, "because I don't have utility bills,"  once she obtained temporary housing and was no longer on the street.  

I know that sounds crazy, but I experienced a similar situation a few years ago at one annual evaluation.  Instead of listing my electricity separately from my monthly rent, I included it.  I pay my 'landlord' a lump sum which includes electric, water, sewar and garbage; which is usually how it is living on someone else's property, unless they have separate meters.  All of a sudden my SNAP benefits went from something like $175 to $35.

"WTF?!!" When the woman explained the insane rule to me, I said, "Well, nothing's changed in my pocketbook from last year to today, so put it back the way it was!!!"  Fortunately she did, and I have a note to always keep my electric amount SEPARATE.

At last year's eval I relinquished my last bit of pride and put my name on the list for Section 8 housing.  When I checked the county's list the other day, I was number 3866.  At my SNAP meeting last week, before we even started, I asked if my current food stamp amount could possibly be re-evaluated, since yada, yada.

"The Computer figures it out automatically, sorry.  It only looks at X, Y and Z,"  and the questioning began.

My SNAP benefits had already been cut in half when I went from SSI to SS; and when we were finished the other day HAL took away another $20 in benefits, because my Social Security increased 2.8% last January along with everyone else's cost of living adjustment.

So ask me what I think of illegal immigrants and social benefits.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment

Original gourd art designs Copyright 2024 Andrea Jansen Designs. Please write for permission.