I mean, over the years I've resisted the popular catch word or phrase like cool, wicked and Bucket List because I despise conformity.
I mean, for a while every response to any question or comment during any interview began, 'Yes," even if the answer was eventually, "No." I mean, I mean is today's popular verbal tic, drives me nuts.
I mean expresses what, exactly? If an idea was expressed in some obscure manner, I mean would make sense if then followed by a literal translation. I mean, to put these unnecessary words at the beginning of a sentence seems to differentiate between the times we didn't want to know what they mean?
Home Run! I agree! Vickie
ReplyDeleteIt's very much like "like" ! Lol A word meant to compare has become another um, uh, and uh, you know, or any other thoughtless phrase! Here's an idea...pause. There's nothing wrong with a brief pause. It helps you gather your thoughts, regroup, give emphasis to a point, makes you seem smarter, and is all around just a better way of dealing with transition, loss of a thought chain, or continuing a longer idea.Silence can have a profound effect...
ReplyDeleteTo Lesslye's 'pause' point, my boss in Manhattan used to tell me to count to 5 (?) before answering; or if in a meeting to excuse myself and say I have to go to the bathroom. I still use that.
ReplyDelete