"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner." Colette

Oct 8, 2024

Have Faith in FEMA

You won't hear anything bad about FEMA from me, no siree.  This was Ruff Life following Hurricane Georges in Puerto Rico, 1998, here's that story.

At the time I didn't know much about FEMA and assumed, because I lived on a boat, that they wouldn't help me with repairs; but au contraire!  Everyone was encouraged to apply - the worst they could say was NO.  Almost immediately I received a check for $500 to help survive the early days.  After that, maybe a couple weeks, I received another check for around $5,000, I almost fell on the dock.  For real?  YES.

FEMA never asked what I was doing down there, living on such an old boat; or whether I was properly anchored (I had 5 anchors out).  It was a simple process...so simple that I tried it again years later with another hurricane, Harvey, maybe.  I didn't have quite the same payout but I didn't have as much damage; and again, following their smaller, initial check for several hundred or whatever, I did receive a second, larger check a bit later.

I do understand how it is to be in shock after such an experience, and it's easy not to fully understand the FEMA rep's information.  So don't believe the former President when he's claiming you'll only get $750; or the Government is trying to take your house.

POPPYCOCK!  That's just fearmongering; but like most of the lies which continually spew from Trump's lips, loads of people believe him.  In a sense you can't blame them - they're desperate for a change in their lives and are grasping at Trump's straws.

DON'T, please, when it comes to FEMA.  They are truly trying to help, and aren't using disaster funds for illegal immigrants.

But go ahead - spread false rumors and put your fellow citizens in danger.  Can you believe there are people out there too frightened now of losing their homes that they'll remain in place in the face of upcoming Hurricane Milton?  Doesn't that bother you?

I don't do social media, so how about sharing some positive insight instead of the latest shelter adoption?  For those in real need, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment

Original gourd art designs Copyright 2024 Andrea Jansen Designs. Please write for permission.