"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner." Colette

Oct 11, 2021

It'll Always be Columbus Day to Me

I mean no disrespect to the Indigenous People of our Nation, but for six decades I've called it Columbus Day; I moved on to my boat on Columbus Day; my husband died on Columbus Day.  I'm not about to try to remember this particular change at this particular stage in my life for any particular reason.  Everyone's done something abominable during their lives, I'm sure you'll agree; so if we're all called out, who'll be left?

I'm sure someone clever will uncover and broadcast some egregious act (other than Custer's Last Stand) perpetrated by our Indigenous People against others and they'll change the name again.

So why should I bother?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment

Original gourd art designs Copyright 2024 Andrea Jansen Designs. Please write for permission.