"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner." Colette

Dec 4, 2012

Good Girls



Yesterday, I went on to my Caretaking front porch to adjust Tropical Santa, and there was an enormous box.  I haven’t been able to do any catalog shopping in years, and everyone I know has already been more than generous to BC and me.  So I assumed it was trash, forgetting I now live in a neighborhood and people generally don’t do that.

On closer inspection I saw it came from Omaha Steaks.  I’ve never received one of their packages before, but I'd coveted Ginger’s O.S. Styrofoam coolers when I lived in Puerto Rico.  The label had the correct address but the wrong name; anyone’s name:  mine, the homeowner’s, or the former homeowners, who keep getting mail.

I brought the box inside and stared at my sudden moral dilemma.  If you’ve read anything of mine, you’ll know that this was the equivalent of keeping the fox in the chicken coop or having a recovering alcoholic work at a winery.  I imagine (most) people who find wallets full of money have at least a momentary thought of what they’d do with their sudden windfall.  


Lucky for me it’s too cold for bar-b-ques.  Honesty won out; somebody paid good money for that gift addressed to Dr. Sue, so I called Customer Service.  I admitted my momentary lapse of good judgment to the gal as I searched for the order number.  Just as quickly she replied,

“Here’s some good news…you can go ahead and keep the box.”

Blithering my thanks, I prayed for a cooler as I ripped off the plastic.

There was, there was!!  It held a box of four 6-oz Filet Mignons, a 2-pound ham, and a bag of dry ice I accidentally grabbed the wrong way.

Once again, it’s nice to find that I get what I wish for, eventually.  So thanks for the Bon Apetit, Pat, wherever you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment

Original gourd art designs Copyright 2024 Andrea Jansen Designs. Please write for permission.