"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner." Colette

May 4, 2013

Texas, et al



In brief, we’re safe and sound in the middle of Mississippi, after spending yesterday successfully dodging the rain which threatens the entire area.  I’ve been hustling since leaving Santa Fe because bad weather was expected to come down from somewhere.  The morning I left Amarillo, it was blowing like a son-of-a-gun, but after an hour traveling south I was back in hot, sunny weather.

This is Small Town, Texas.  There are dozens of these towns along the alternate routes I’ve been following, avoid major Interstates, which don’t go exactly where I’m heading, and I can’t see driving North then back South, or so.  It’s just as fast…speed limits average 65-75, but you know me…I’m pokey.   Pleased I took this route, you get to see the most unusual things along the way, and there’s hardly anyone else on the road.  And while not each town has every amenity, you just need to travel a bit further down the road to hit the major chains we’re all so used to.

Did you know that there are almost as many Wal Marts as there are Baptist churches?

Following US Highway 82 through East Texas (last night was spent in Texarkana),  southern Arkansas was a surprise to me.  Beautiful trees surround brick homes with well manicured lawns, intersperced with stereotypical hovels, which are at least more than what I own.  But what really surprised, and impressed, me is the amount of land surrounding every type of residence.  If you want breathing space from your neighbors, this is the place to be.  One large home in a bucolic setting was for sale, with a stone chimney which will withstand the test of time.  Then I saw the overhead entry sign to:
HAWG BAYOU

O…kay.   It was a hop-skip-and through Arkansas, unlike 3 days through Texas, and suddenly I was in Mississippi.  I stopped when the rain became heavier, and after being on the road for over 6 hours, which is more than my usual 4-5.  I hope to make Atlanta today, where great friends have a haven from the storm.  BC’s making new friends, too.

"Happy Trails"...to us!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment

Original gourd art designs Copyright 2024 Andrea Jansen Designs. Please write for permission.