"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner." Colette

May 7, 2013

Gone with the Wind

Atlanta’s like life on the boat…soggy.  Just when you think the rain has stopped, the drizzle turn into downpours, at all hours.  5-9 inches (or more) from the past few days.  I’ve been spending a few days at the home of lifelong pals, who pepper my musings from time to time.  No one knows you quite like old friends.  It’s extremely comforting, and their beautiful home is a welcome shelter from the storm(s).  BC and friend were kept out of harm’s way as yummy Tacos were bubbling in oil; Rita makes the best Tex-Mex.

Unfortunately, it looks like the rain will be accompanying me up the Eastern Seaboard during the last leg of my journey to ‘Jersey.  Ugh.  But as Rita taught me years ago, if I can’t change it, deal with it, so I’ll pull on my big-girl panties and hit the road.  It’s been over 4,000 miles since I left Oregon April 12th, and with my average 200-250 miles per day,  it’ll be another 4 or 5 days to get home.  I’d like to make it by Mother’s Day, but hauling my como-se-llama for the sake of arriving on Sunday seems unwise, and as Sis said, we’ll celebrate Mother’s Day when I arrive.

In case anyone’s interested in my route, I continued on Highway 82, continuing through Mississippi and Alabama until I picked up Interstate 20 around Birmingham.  Photo note: a Piggly Wiggly supermarket sign in Tuscaloosa; I know this chain from New Mexico years ago, but most people think I’m joking when I mention the name.

See, I don’t make this up.  Anyway, the scenery continued to be green, the roads relatively empty, and the sun shone brilliantly until the layer of clouds over Georgia.  Here’s one of the Statues of Liberty which seem to be scattered about the planet.  But believe me, folks, there’s nothing like the real thing, even if you can no longer climb to the torch like we could as kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment

Original gourd art designs Copyright 2024 Andrea Jansen Designs. Please write for permission.