"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner." Colette

Jul 11, 2024

Maybe Joe Has Sundowner's

Since my 40s, I've told new bosses from the get-go not to expect much out of me after 4pm (particularly in meetings).  I can still function but I'm not as sharp as earlier in the day.

Worked like a charm.  They'd merely look at their watches in response to my blank face to remember, "Oh, right, it's after 4."

Sundowner's Syndrome:  From the Mayo Clinic, briefly: 

"The term "sundowning" refers to a state of confusion that occurs in the late afternoon and lasts into the night. Sundowning can cause various behaviors, such as confusion, anxiety, aggression or ignoring directions.  These symptoms may affect people with Alzheimer's disease and other types of dementia. The exact cause of sundowning is not known."

There's more, but that's the gist.  I don't believe I have Sundowner's just because I'm no good in the late afternoon.  It's rare to stay awake until 8pm, for watching TV at night puts me to sleep.  I can, however, hit the ground running at 5am and accomplish much by 7; compared with doing nothing for hours on the couch.  I get a lot of teasing for this, but it's simply how my body functions best.

I considered that this morning as I saw the schedule President Biden will have today; topped off with the most important Press Conference of his life.  Look at this, from Roll Call:

9:00 AM - The President receives the President's Daily Brief

9:40 AM - The President departs the White House en route to the Walter E. Washington Convention Center, South Grounds

10:00 AM - The President participates in Working Session II of the NATO Summit

1:30 PM - THE President holds a bilateral meeting with President Volodymyr Zelenskyy of Ukraine

2:00 PM - The President participates in Working Session III of the NATO Summit

4:15 PM - The President hosts an event on the Ukraine Compact

5:30 PM - The President holds a press conference – South Grounds

6:30 PM - The President holds a press conference

"He's doomed," I thought.  Who thought that's a good idea?  Here's the way I see it:

1.  Anyone would be whupped after all of this; and chances are good he will have heard many reporter's questions several times already.  Biden, like many of us, will be getting irritated, so on top of everything he has to hold his temper.  Bad idea.

2.  Maybe someone had the great idea that if, after such a long day, the president answers questions flawlessly, it'll prove to us even more he's up to the task.  Big gamble.

 3.  He does, indeed, have a mild case of Sundowner's; in which case, again, really bad idea to schedule a solo press conference so late in the day.

He can't afford a single slip at this point.  We'll all nervously wait and watch.  Hope I can stay awake.

3 comments:

  1. All in office should be mandated to retire no matter what by the time the full retirement age. It's not fair to anyone if they can't keep up. Let younger, (not too young), continue the work. Enjoy your age without having to work, especially with the money they make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more. My mother got 'witchy' in the evening for years before she passed. But she was out in the garden when the birds began to sing each day, or reading before the sun came up. People are either owls or larks, she would say.

      Delete
    2. I get what you're saying; however, for equality, we'd have to mandate a forced retirement age for EVERYONE, not just politicians. Maybe the retirement age should go up...to 70? 75?

      Delete

Add a comment

Original gourd art designs Copyright 2024 Andrea Jansen Designs. Please write for permission.