"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner." Colette

Feb 2, 2016

Viva la Proletariat!


That's alright; I'm already on the government's radar.

I suppose I'll miss the O.J. Simpson trial movie since I don't have a TV, but there's no need to watch the recreation.  Like many at the time I observed the trial from my armchair ALL DAY LONG.


Why?  I was recovering from Tino's untimely death by working on my
crazy quilt (see Fok the Wabbits), so day after day I listened to boring testimony in between what was salacious enough for the 7 o'clock news.


But that's not the point of this story.  The country as a whole was shocked by the slow car chase in a way that kids can't possibly comprehend today.  Now imagine trying to explain it to someone from a foreign country.  Tino was fascinated by all things American, and as we stood before the television set in 1994 I was embarrassed for us as a nation.

What could I possibly say to him?  Yes, Tino, this great nation you and so many others imagine in your head isn't all it's cracked up to be?  The famous and wealthy are treated differently; always have been, always will be.

What exactly do we call that class of people...theBourgeoisie?  Me, I'm a proud member of the Proletariat, and if you don't think history is repeating itself then you're watching the election process even less than me.  



Original gourd art designs Copyright 2024 Andrea Jansen Designs. Please write for permission.