"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner." Colette

Jul 10, 2012

Don't Forget the Pony Express

Mary Adams Peacock
 Mural by Kathleen Kresa
Crescent City, California
I could post a beautiful photo of scenery I've passed, but I find shots like this more interesting.

Pony Express riders. Just imagine.  The mural depicts Mary Adams Peacock, who carried the mail between Crescent City and Grant's Pass in the 1880's and 90's, owned a hotel and stage stop, and was the first woman in the state to have a bridge named after her.

I'll bet her Mom wished she was more normal, too.

So naturally I jumped in, uninvited, during a recent banter in an office supply store, which also offers postal services.

"Would you like stamps today, Sir?"

The man, paying for his copies, stared; no thanks, he frequents the Post Office, he replied.

"Good for you," I chimed in, "otherwise, what reason did all those Pony Express riders suffer?"  I've held this opinion for some time; it was refreshing to hear someone else being vocal.

The poor gal at the register began mumbling company rhetoric for their services which, I might point out, are NOT as comprehensive as the Post Office.  But you don't find that out until it's too late; you're committed and have to send the darn thing out.

Grandad Sydney E. Pritchard, right
And you can't buy less than a book of stamps.  This must be how all those Mom and Pop stores disappeared.  My fraternal Grandparents immigrated from Poland during a mass exodus in the 20's; didn't speak a lick of English, but opened a little grocery store in their neighborhood of Greenpoint, Brooklyn, working hard to provide a better future for their kids.  My Dad  wanted the same for me, but while my Sister became the more responsible, I seem to take after Mom's side, in personality,temperament and, must unfortunately, characteristic walk-on-water-width-feet.

My maternal Grandfather, at least, looks like he was ready for adventure; he died before I was born and the stories are being forgotten.  His brother, George Thompson Pritchard, became a renowned California artist, after being a down-and-out artist himself.  I remain hopeful...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment

Original gourd art designs Copyright 2024 Andrea Jansen Designs. Please write for permission.