"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner." Colette

Jul 9, 2012

Work vs Play?

Along the Redwood Hwy.
Do I write, or paint, or do something with Woofers & Tweeters?  Tough decisions.  But my mental capacity wins out so before I forget...

I've decided to stay put for awhile and strike out from a central location; central to the Oregon Coast, Northern California Redwoods and decent shopping in Grant's Pass.  Originally planning to head for friends in Lake Tahoe, after considering the driving routes, elevations, and age of my truck, I think it would be wise to make the trip with the truck alone; at least the first time.  I suspect my idea of zipping up and down the Rockies like Wile E. Coyote is unrealistic, and since I've learned not to press MY way, I'm listening to my gut.


And it always seems to turn out better than I plan.  This way, I can take a more scenic route to Lake Tahoe than the Interstate, without gripping the wheel so tightly I'm crippled for life.  Knock on wood.

I already got a taste of a squirrly mountain road on the drive to Crescent City, California, just across the Oregon border.  I'd forgotten how it's impossible to get from one part of Oregon to another without circumnavigating the globe; alright, the state.  Those mountains and forest keeps getting in the way.  I'd considered heading to Eastern Oregon, because I've never been there, and I'd like to visit a place called Fossil.

"There may be 300 miles between gas stations."

"No one goes there, unless. of course, they're interested in that kind of thing."

Fossils.  I am; have been, long before Jurassic Park..  On one vacation to Rapid City, South Dakota (I've been there more than once; Mt. Rushmore's really something to see up close and personal), I visited a dinosaur dig.  That was one of my single times; it's not the kind of trip many men seem to find interesting, unless there's gambling or pool playing along the way, and not the wet kind.

Since I'll be here for another few weeks, I've got to try something right up my alley:  tree line zipz and swings!  They're all over here; you're up 50 feet in a tree, then you zip on over, via a line, to another tree, at speeds reaching 40mph.  You can even rent treehouses, but that's a bit out of my budget, and I couldn't imagine getting BC up the ropes.

Fossil's not going anywhere anytime soon.  I first heard about the place from my truck mechanic; his daughter is a real budding Paleantologist; she found some sabertooth tiger remains, on display in the Smithsonian and attributed to the little 12 year old.  I hope that story is true.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment

Original gourd art designs Copyright 2024 Andrea Jansen Designs. Please write for permission.