"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner." Colette

Dec 21, 2023

Holiday Classics

This year was the first time I've put lights on my RV, so proud of myself.  They're not much but I had quite a sense of accomplishment when finished.

They're fancy to me with 8 settings: white lights steady; multicolor steady; switch between the two with 4 speed change; 3 speed change; 2 flash speed; breath mode 4 colors 3 speed change; flash mode btwn white and multicolor; plus one which combines the whole shebang.  You can also dim or brighten the lights, and finally, a 6 hour timer button.

All controlled by a remote.

I prefer either the white or multicolor steady, dimmed, so as not to disturb my neighbors.  Only trouble is, whenever I change TV channels with my remote control, the outdoor light settings change as well.  I'm constantly looking to see if they're On or Off and what they're doing; and relax when I've finally settled on a movie.  I figured out that I can simply peek through the blinds and see their reflection off my neighbor's shiny motorhome, at least if they're On.  They turn Off at will.

It's funny but also maddening, you can imagine.  I set them on Dim Multicolor Steady a couple weeks ago when I volunteered at the theater; but when I arrived home they were brilliantly flashing and changing colors like an old 42nd Street sex shop., I can't make this up.

In that spirit, I've decided to post links to a couple of my Holiday Classics, including:

Dead Santas, for the photos if nothing else, and

The Night Before Foodstamps, a grateful reminder for me of the times which inspired my poem.  Here's a snippet:

"Twas the night before food stamps, and all through the house
Not a creature was stirring; no scraps for that mouse.
The Green bags were hung by the front door with care,
In hopes that the Co-op had samples to spare."

Ho, Ho, Hi-De-Ho! 

4 comments:

  1. Ah, the wonders of gadgetry and technosavviness!! I’m sure the lights look beautiful no matter what.
    Happy happy holidays, dear friend!

    Thank you for sharing!

    Love you lots,
    G

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just gotta love technoloy. I don't though. Candles in the window are my speed. Have a Merry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remember those big bulbs Dad used to put up outside? Lighting has sure come a long way since we were kids. My neighborhood is filled with those big blow-up things each holiday - right now, it's Santa's workshop next door, but at least it's not saying "Ho-ho-ho!" the way it cackled on Halloween and warbled on Thanksgiving! Enjoy the lights and have a lovely Christmas. Wish I could be with you!

    ReplyDelete

Add a comment

Original gourd art designs Copyright 2024 Andrea Jansen Designs. Please write for permission.