"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner." Colette

Jun 6, 2021

Goodwill Musings

BC had her glucose test on Friday and I'm happy to report so far, so good.  It was all day and they did charge me $12.50 for boarding on top of the $81 for the test; but still, it was pretty much as quoted.

So with the entire day to myself I ran errands and, of course, made a stop at Goodwill, it's my addiction. I met a woman in an aisle and we got to chatting, all still in our masks.  She was excited when she learned I'm from 'Jersey since she hailed from Long Island; worked at Manhattan's Fashion Institute of Technology; and we immediately began speaking faster.

It was a relatively short conversation, but we had similar schools of thought regarding today's social climate, and life in Oregon in general.

"I find myself missing Long Island these days, and sometimes wish I was back East," she said with nostalgia.

"Me, too; but it doesn't last very long.  It's too crowded back there."

She agreed. I said something I've said to more than one stranger, and so far everyone has agreed:

"I'm glad my parents aren't alive to see what's going on now."

She added, "...and spouses, and friends."  Then she stunned me with her frankness, "I'm glad I'm this old and won't be around to see how all this turns out."

I had to agree to that one, and I suspect we're not alone.

Photo notes:  I haven't owned a decent pan in decades, and even though I wasn't looking for one I couldn't pass up the 2-quart Cuisinart sauté pan with lid, for $6.99 minus 10% Senior Discount.  I fell in love when none of the sauce from the ribs dribbled down the sides; it kept a nice even heat; and was a snap to clean.  A much better bargain than my square, red, copper-surfaced pan popular on TV, no longer non-stick; for $19.99 in Walmart, and that didn't include a lid.

Another irresistible 'find' was this darling little Godinger silver plated cream and sugar set, about 2" tall, for $2.99 (minus 10%).  People are selling them online for around $25 but I think I'll keep mine. I can always change my mind. Hell, even the rolling pin was 50% off, 'blue tag'.  It can always be a stocking stuffer.

How can I resist, tell me Doctor?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment

Original gourd art designs Copyright 2024 Andrea Jansen Designs. Please write for permission.