"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner." Colette

Mar 7, 2021

2013 - Joshua Tree National Park

BC and I said our good-byes to the household in San Jose and struck out for parts unknown; heading south towards I-5 via Gilroy, but it was too early for their annual Garlic Festival, I'd have picked up one of those braids.  If you are new to my travels, I'm a pokey driver who makes lots of stops, so it took me another 1-1/2 days to get from San Jose to Joshua Tree National Park near the Arizona border.

We spent the night in a rest area between Bakersfield and Barstow.  It wasn't as cramped in the back as that first night, but I still didn't like shimmying in and out of my clothes.  Otherwise it was fine.

I didn't even know what a Joshua Tree was; all I knew was it was on the map along the way and I didn't want to pass it up. To repeat my uncle's critique of Joshua Tree National Park:

"There's nothing there!"

I figured I'd see for myself. I stopped at the first campground I came across: Hidden Valley, I think it was; a first-come, first-served campground.   It was shortly after 2pm and the sign read, "Campground Full" but I went in anyway. They possibly didn't get around to taking it down from the previous night's campers.

I was surprised to see so many cars in April. I drove around the loop once and saw an open spot yet completed the loop in case there was something better, but I didn't see any more. The bathrooms were close by, too.  I zipped back around and backed in; then started walking to the Pay Station with BC.

A young couple pulled up, pointed and asked if that was my truck. Yes, I answered hesitantly, afraid I'd done something wrong already, but no.  They were camped at a different spot but were hoping for a better one, and they'd been driving around periodically to see if one became available.

"Boy, it sure is crowded," I observed.

"Because of the meteor shower tonight,"  April 21st.  At my blank expression he continued, "The Perseid Meteor Shower.  Star gazers have come from all over the country, and finding a camp site has been next to impossible, you're really lucky."

Guiltily-pleased with our dumb-kinda luck, I spent the afternoon setting up my first campsite.  I'd brought a piece of awning from my festival canopy; supported by some PVC pieces fit together and attached to the truck's rear doors.  I'd packed a piece of fake grass, which came in handy in the sandy spot.  BC was comfy but I kept looking for snakes.

"Look at this view," I told myself; willing myself to enjoy camping, it's not really my nature. Sure, I lived on a boat, but the Captain was there to hold my hand as I learned the ropes, pun intended.

Walking around, I was envious of the people climbing the rocks. I loved doing that as a kid, either on rock jetties or the boulders in Central Park.  I'd love the sights that rock-climbing affords, but I've always had a harder time getting down than up, ahhh...to be nimble again.










I assumed these huge rocks were everywhere in the park, but apparently not.  Again I lucked out, because I enjoy look at rocks more than trees, which are pretty cool, too, don't get me wrong.

As usual, I couldn't stay awake to watch the meteor shower, but I had a hard time in Puerto Rico, too. Unfortunately, I didn't have someone to nudge me awake and kick me outside, but as is my nature I woke up really early, still in time to see quite a few meteors in the dawn's early light.

Even though I missed most of the show, I could not have planned that stop any better.  I didn't want to hang around another day, so after more photos we headed out to cross the desert before it got too hot.

Next up:  Phoenix Bound.

To read from the start:  Oregon to California.

Sign up to receive new posts as they're written, on the top right side of the page.  No obligation; no advertising; no kidding, thanks for reading and sharing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment

Original gourd art designs Copyright 2024 Andrea Jansen Designs. Please write for permission.