"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner." Colette

Mar 13, 2021

2013 - Phoenix Bound

From Joshua Tree:  It was hot but there wasn't any choice except the old 360-air heading down I-10 across Arizona, also known as the Pearl Harbor Memorial Highway. Thank goodness it was morning, but the sun remained in our eyes.  I love how in the middle of nowhere, an Oasis springs up out of nowhere.

We were at a rest area about an hour west of Phoenix for a BC stop; and to apprise my cousin in Scottsdale of our imminent arrival. We hadn't seen one another since the 1970s and were looking forward to our reunion. (His Mom was Dad's sister.) I figured I'd find a Motel 6 after our visit.

I was also hoping to unload some of my painted gourds, since I've got a storage unit full of prized pieces. I'd been successful in San Jose, leaving a variety of Christmas Presents for later in the year. I'd rather they go to relatives instead of the Salvation Army; I keep telling them not to get rid of anything until after I'm dead.  That's when artists are really appreciated, and maybe my stuff will be worth something to them, from my lips...

So I'm watching for rattlesnakes as Pet Area signs warn, when I called Tom.

"We're just at a rest area...be there soon."

"Who's WE?"

"BC and me."

Pregnant pause. "I didn't realize you were traveling with your dog...that's a problem because we have two German Shepherds." They're Mary Anne's pride and joy, now that they're empty-nesters; and he said their dogs would barely accept me being in the house, let alone BC.

"No problem...I just wanted to stop and say hello.  I can leave BC in the truck while we visit."  I've already written about BC's setup in the truck, but my cousin would have none of that.  When I arrived they made the suggestion of Lunch in the Park with food from a local deli, yum; so that BC could be outside, too.  No way could she stay in the truck in the Phoenix sun, even under a tree, and even if it was only April.  I agreed; but not before pulling out my wares until Mary Anne went, "Ahhh..."  It's on a table in their entryway.

Lunch was very pleasant and they were right...talk about HOT.  I guess you get acclimated but it sure felt hotter than New Mexico or Puerto Rico.  Tom also put us up in a really nice pet-friendly hotel; a suite with lots of rolling space for her ball.  She had her own bed.

Since I had the hotel's Internet access I uploaded my first movie on Amazon:  Into the Wild.  A neighbor in my old RV park lent me his copy before I hit the road with my travel trailer the summer before. 

Bill moved across from my RV space and worked part-time in Walmart.  He had a couple grown daughters who would visit, but we hadn't really said more than Hi until I knocked on his door. Back then I couldn't rub two nickels together, and desperately needed a favor, or rather BC did:

"You work at Walmart?"

"Yes..." he answered hesitantly.

I held out a $10 bill.  "Could you please pick up a bag of dogfood for me next time you go to work?  I can't afford the food and the gas it'll take for me to go to town and back."  At the time I owned the red F150, a real guzzler, and lived further away from town than I do now.  It cost almost $10 any time I went anywhere.

"Is that all you want?"  Uh-huh.  "Here," he held out a $20.  "Take this and go buy the food and whatever else yourself."  I think he brought me a full bag of groceries the next day; I'd forgotten that story.  He later told me he thought I was going to hit him up for his store discount.

For some reason Bill was worried I'd disappear into thin air like the guy in the story, and after I watched the movie he quizzed me:

"What did you get out of it?  What did Christopher McCandless ultimately come to understand?"

"That happiness is best when shared."

"No, that happiness is only REAL when shared.  Remember that."  Apparently I have.

After sharing breakfast the next morning, Tom gave me 4 quarts of oil (Full Synthetic), a second Road Atlas, a hug and a prayer.  I discovered my 5-gallon water container had a leak so I bought a couple of bottles before we continued.

From Scottsdale we traveled northeast, since I was next heading for friends in Santa Fe.  I had no idea it would be so different just a mere hour outside of fry-an-egg-on-the-sidewalk Phoenix.

We drove up and over the mountains, and as I rode through the forests I wondered what it would be like to live somewhere like that.  To remind the reader, I no longer had a place to return to in Oregon.  Living on my friend's property wasn't an option, since they don't have hookups and I need my water and electricity.  Everywhere I went, I considered moving. 

We stopped in a town called Payson, with the draw for me being the Art and Antique Corral.  I can't pass these places up, with their artwork, western wear and gorgeous jewelry.

BC waited outside while I took a quick peek.  Bowls of snake rattles; saddlery; postcards of old cattle drives; who can resist?


Old time RV's, I call those wagons.

I picked up a medicine pouch for my new cell phone, and a horny-toad thing to cover the biggest hole in the dash.  His head and tail wobble.

So that's all for now...it's gorgeous outside and I'm taking advantage!  And P.S. to my J&J Vaccine:  no symptoms at all after 48 hours.  CORRECTION:  I meant I've not had ANY reactions since receiving the shot 48 hours or whenever ago, happily.


To read from the start:  Oregon to California.

Sign up to receive new posts as they're written, on the top right side of the page.  No obligation; no advertising; no kidding, thanks for reading and sharing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment

Original gourd art designs Copyright 2024 Andrea Jansen Designs. Please write for permission.