"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner." Colette

Aug 1, 2018

Sausage Dog Gets a Waist

Home safe and sound, thanks!  It was smokey from Incline Village to So OR but the roads were clear. No traffic to speak of except for a few construction areas, which made me wonder about the health of those beefy workers without masks repairing our roads in such conditions.

Must get hazardous duty pay; at least I hope they do. Close to a month away from home can help you develop good habits, which for BC and me involved eating. We've both put on the pounds a bit over time, but fortunately my Tahoe friends are extremely healthy eaters who bike and hike all the time, ewww.  I snuck some snacks I'd brought along to James when Nancy wasn't looking, but he's back on his own.


I've written about health-conscious pals before, and I continued to avow that if I put anything healthy into my body it'll go into shock. However, since my food stamps didn't go too far in Tahoe groceries I agreed, albeit reluctantly, when Nancy offered chicken-black-bean-veggies-and God knows what else-burrito-wraps.  It wasn't quite the deep-fat fried Dogfood burritos I favor in most Walmarts and gas stations, but it was tasty nevertheless.

I was like a kid when I showed off my Lo-Fat Bologna (all beef) to Nancy, but she wasn't terribly impressed. By the time I left, as I reached for the Original variety of Thomas' English Muffins, I didn't argue when she gently brushed my hand aside and went for the Lo-Cal Whole Wheat variety, and damned if it didn't taste almost as good.  I'm sold. I'd begun the trip with Everything Bagels, so there's real progress.

BC had lots of play time with new puppy Pepper, even though elder Maverick lost patience with the youngsters from time to time.  The bonding of the three dogs was a surprise to us all.  I cut down on the quantity and frequency of BC's food and snacks, too, because I didn't want to be scolded for that, either.

So the trip was fabulous, and I promised they'd see svelter guests next time (from the sveltering heat if nothing else).
Thank you Nancy and James!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment

Original gourd art designs Copyright 2024 Andrea Jansen Designs. Please write for permission.