"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner." Colette

Sep 26, 2017

Pet Peeves

Pet peeves...we've all got 'em. Numero Uno in my book: I can't stand those little bits of paper which remain after you've pulled the page out of a spiral notebook. Annoying, picking and pulling until I finally grab the scissors, since I can't tear along perforated lines for shit.

English language four-paws, sorry, faux-pas, annoyed my parents (also on my list: Words the computer corrects for me). Dad absolutely loathed,

"I wuz gonna."  Drove the man nuts whenever I said it, so naturally...

One day Mom abruptly stood up and turned off the television, declaring as she strode towards the box,

"NO! I will NOT "Toon in to da nooze!"

Sure, we were Noo Yawkers, but Mom beat the accent out of us growing up. So it annoys me now that in formal interviews, people under a certain age seem NOT to be able to form their answer without first replying,

"Yeah."

Have you noticed, or is it just me?  Since I don't have grandchildren to ask, I'm guessing it's a form of recognition: they've heard the words so Yeah, they're paying attention; but based on some answers they clearly don't understand their meaning.

Kinda like listening to the President, yeah? Only I can't pay attention to his words, because the thing which makes me nuts while watching him is how he gestures effeminately with his

TINY HANDS!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment

Original gourd art designs Copyright 2024 Andrea Jansen Designs. Please write for permission.