"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner." Colette

Jun 5, 2016

More like LIFE than TIME

It took 2,000 miles for me to finally get BC's 'perch' just right. In front of the passenger seat is a storage bucket which levels the area; then it's a jumble of foam cushions, back rest, baby bumpers Velcro'd to the dash and her lamb's pillow. Jeez, I'm looking at her jealously while I continue to drive through



and


until more than once I declare to BC that maybe we're dead and just don't know it. Finally a vehicle appears in the distance. 


Even the tourist attractions are empty; at least the ones I stop to see. Like this monument dedicated to 15 year old Kate Shelly, who crawled across a railroad bridge during a thunderstorm to warn the depot (and oncoming passenger train) that a locomotive had plunged through the trestle up ahead near her family's farm.  Imagine. Amazon has a children's book, Kate Shelly and the Midnight Express.  

Pony Express station, NE
Once I hit Nebraska (during the time Kansas got its butt kicked) I've been pretty much in the vicinity of storms, but I finally learned that it doesn't matter how closely I followed the NOAA website; there's a bulls-eye painted on the roof of my RV.  It was the same on the boat.  A truck kicked up a rock and my windshield will have to be replaced by the time the hairline crack stops its own wandering, but it coulda been worse.

A pleasant exception was the beautiful weather while visiting my cousin in northern Illinois, also beautiful. We hadn't seen one another in either 40 or 55 years; we're not quite clear in our recollections, but it was a wonderful visit full of love, family stories and hot food.

I left two days ago and it's gone from sun back to gloom, but luckily I happened to stumble upon an out-of-the-way picnic area on a back road when struck with a migraine (something about the change in barometric pressure). The next morning, thrilled that I wasn't rousted during the head-pounding night, I pretended, while having coffee, that all I surveyed was mine. 



Tell me this doesn't remind you just a little of North by Northwest:

I wonder if I'll see people in Indiana?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment

Original gourd art designs Copyright 2024 Andrea Jansen Designs. Please write for permission.