"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner." Colette

Jul 3, 2015

Let Freedom Ring

On the Waterfront, Keyport, NJ
Since I seem to be so far behind I thought I'd send my 4th of July message out a day early. When I was home in 2013 I discovered this landmark along the waterfront in Keyport. Please take a moment to look at the picture. Erected to honor the 1976 Bicentennial, it’s a bit busy for a monument but I happen to like busy. You should see my place.

From time to time I’ve mentioned treasures of my life which have been stored in Mom’s attic for the past 40 years, and as I organize I’m continually surprised to see how many mini-collections I’ve accumulated without realizing it.  Turns out I’m a big fan of the Liberty Bell, so it's no surprise I was drawn to this monolith which contained a quote from Henry Hudson,  c. 1609…1609:

“This is a very good land to fall in with, and a pleasant land to see”

For Keyport's Firemen
I agree.  I love this country.  I cry during 4th of July fireworks. The Declaration of Independence was just recited in its entirety on Public Radio so I stopped typing to listen.  I consider myself a relatively intelligent person but had to strain to comprehend some of the 18th Century verbiage. Surely I'm not alone, and likely the words have already been updated as they’ve done to Chaucer’s, Canterbury Tales.  If not, somebody oughta.

As I strained to understand, I pictured our forefathers gathered in Independence Hall (which must have had a different name), signing a treasonous document and hoping to God the rest of the world understood. I feverishly searched the keypad in the dark before I forgot their final words:

“We mutually pledge to each other our Lives,
our Fortunes and our Sacred Honor."

For an idea.  Wow.  Could you say that standing alongside your neighbor? Wouldn't it be nice?

Happy 4th!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment

Original gourd art designs Copyright 2024 Andrea Jansen Designs. Please write for permission.