"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner." Colette

Oct 7, 2014

Perspectives

We're coming up to Columbus Day...again; certainly the hardest day of my year, and not simply for resisting holiday sales.  First, this Sunday will be the 20th anniversary of Tino's death.  So unfair.  Breakfast out and a drive (to the coast?) is my order for the day so I don't simply dwell; BC my faithful traveling companion.

That'll be nice.  It'll also be 17 years since I stepped foot on Ruff Life, the abrupt end of which (in '09) was similarly brutal to my psyche.  It's the same as excess weight:  the older you are, the tougher it is for your body (and mind) to bounce back into shape.

Thankfully I'm back, more or less; the final kick in the como-se-llama when I realized I'd been grieving for Ruff Life, et al, longer than I'd been in high school.

Perspective.  I've got more than 40 years left; whether it's God's cynical sense of humor or the t-shirt slogan, "The more you complain, the longer God makes you live," I've no choice, so I'm making plans for decades to come. My friends smile at that, but perhaps my conviction alone will keep me going.

"Please stick around with me," I implore to one and all...I'll need all the friends I can get.

And finally, despite having passed the point of most people's attention span, I'd like to share a popular post from two years ago:  Volantines, my kite shop in Puerto Rico; turns out it's a Reader's Digest version of the comprehensive story I'm working on now.

Happy Columbus Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment

Original gourd art designs Copyright 2024 Andrea Jansen Designs. Please write for permission.