"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner." Colette

Jul 27, 2014

How Much is Too Much?



I’m pissed, and I’m not gonna take it anymore, so if you’re not interested in someone else's gripes, go on to the next blog.  It began yesterday morning when I got into an argument with several people who accused me of mistreating BC in the parking lot of a local market.

My truck doesn’t have air conditioning, but I do have a tiny fan I can plug into the cigarette lighter.  It was 10 am; I’d say low-to-mid 70’s; every window in the truck and hard shelled canopy was open, and she can hop back and forth through connecting windows; the canopy (or whatever it’s called…the thing covering the bed of the truck) has a false ceiling which keeps the back nice and cool; plus BC had plenty of water.  We’d gone to the park while it was still cool, and on the way home I wanted to grab something for dinner and my hips.  15 minutes tops.

But BC’s gotten into the habit of expecting treats from strangers, since she gets them at the bank and gas stations. So her head and shoulders were out the window, watching the world go by and sure, she was panting in the sun, but she had a choice.  She’s not dumb; she knows how to go in the back and cool down; she went through Death Valley with me last summer.

She’s extremely cute and people often stop and say hi, but apparently she drew a small crowd concerned with her welfare, and who refused to listen to a word in my defense.

BC makes me nuts sometimes, sure; but I’d die before I’d hurt my dog, as anyone who knows me knows.  Someone had sarcastically tossed a bottle of water on my seat.  So when I suddenly felt ganged up on by these strangers, I did what I do best: fight back.  I was about to drive away but something snapped when a teenager yelled it was “F-ing illegal to leave a dog in a car.”

I thought I was over that part of Ms. Hyde, but no, and that’s when I kinda went blind.  I swung the truck around, jumped out and stomped towards the pickup with the silent Father behind the wheel.  I remarked about his (snotty) daughters traveling illegally in the back of the truck, adding,

“Let’s call the cops, shall we?!”    Twice.  It crossed my mind briefly as I closed the distance that they could possibly have a gun whereby I only had my mouth; but my dark side propelled me forward as my head screamed,

“BRING IT ON!”  A psychiatrist could have a field day with me.  I was perfectly willing to have a policeman act as independent arbitrator but the driver took off.  Whether he knew he was in the wrong or I scared him is anybody’s guess, at least until the episode shows up on YouTube, which is entirely possible.  There were people scattered all about; how easy is it nowadays to hold up a phone and humiliate someone globally?  Gotta have our daily dose of somebody’s goat to make us all feel better, right?

Whatever.  You know how death reminds you of death?  Resentment does the same thing to me.  I live under many mistaken impressions about today’s society, but the mistreated dog episode was the proverbial straw which broke my still-straight back.

What has happened to people?  Vigilance must be tempered with reason.  Now consider this:  I wasn’t in a mall; I wasn't parked in a movie theater; there was only one place to shop.  If someone was concerned, how difficult would it have been to go inside and ask to make an announcement, like headlights left on?  No, that would take effort.

Like a madwoman, I chased down the man who voiced the original concern but who slinked away and never did have the guts to say something to me directly; just to discover at the light that it was the wrong guy.  Damn my facial recognition problem!

I hate cowards.   All in all, it was an ugly morning, and I was just as upset at my own behavior, trust me; but was I abusing BC?  So I went home and did some research, which I’ll include in an article at some point, but here’s a couple of facts:

Only 14 states have statutes specifically prohibiting leaving an animal in confined vehicles; whose laws add that in order for a person to violate the law, the conditions have to endanger the animal’s life.  With water and ALL windows open for 15 minutes, how much more was BC endangered than the Grannies I’ve seen left in hot cars at Walmart?

The most comprehensive definition of abuse was California’s Penal Code 597.7: “ Leave or confine an animal in any unattended motor vehicle under conditions that endanger the health or well-being of an animal due to heat, cold, lack of adequate ventilation, or lack of food or water, or other circumstances that could reasonably be expected to cause suffering, disability or death to the animal.”  That's pretty subjective.

I also read up on ORS 811.205, which prohibits kids under 18 riding in the back (of trucks) unless there’s no secured space elsewhere; there must be a good reason (like attending a religious function); and restraints are no longer optional.  The law changed in 2003 to better protect minors, so there are probably more than a few drivers who still think it’s OK to throw their litter in the back.  The Class B traffic violation is around $250.

Even dogs must be restrained if riding in the back of a truck, a practice the Oregon Humane Society discourages because ropes and leashes become nooses if the dog gets jolted out of the truck.  Hmmm...I had some extra rope in the back I shoulda offered that Dad.

I’d probably have gotten a finger wagging for being a nuisance, but no fine; not just because Oregon’s not one of the 14 states, but because I could clearly prove that BC’s life was not in imminent danger; she's just a pig.

But the YouTube thing got me.  How would it feel if I went online and found myself one of the day’s topics of entertainment?  Would I have an opportunity to explain myself?

Hell no.  So you know how that makes me feel at the moment?  Wishing to God I was back on Ruff Life, where my neighbors were dolphins.  But since I can’t have my boat back (nor would I really want it…termites were beginning to attack) I’m considering other options.

The Peace Corps sounds pretty good, but can I bring BC?  Guam?  It’s a U.S. territory like Puerto Rico and the Virgins, only closer.  There’s always Tibet: BC’s part Tibetan Terrier and Lee says I look great in orange.

While I’m gone, perhaps someone will think to add pet waiting areas to enhance a shopper's experience, like McDonald's has for kids.  Or at least (shady) areas to tie a leash, like they used to do for horses.  In the meantime, if I want BC to accompany me I’ll just move about in the dark so none of you get upset.

I warned you...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment

Original gourd art designs Copyright 2024 Andrea Jansen Designs. Please write for permission.