"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner." Colette

Jun 22, 2014

Twilight Time


Brooklyn Bridge, A.J., 1960

“What a strange thing is memory, and hope; one looks backward, the other forward.  The one is of Today; the other is the Tomorrow.  Memory is history recorded in our brain, memory is a painter, it paints pictures of the past and of the day."  Grandma Moses.

If you don’t know the name, you oughta look her up.   I was five when Mom and Dad took us to an exhibition of her art in NYC; I found the old brochures at Mom’s last summer, but what the hell can you remember at 5?  Snippets of images; a large room full of people looking at stuff I was too short to see.  My line of sight was more likely…

Never mind.  But there must have been something which triggered an early attachment to this great woman.  Perhaps my parents reminding me that anything is possible; look at G. M., also known as the Painting Farmwife, who had her first exhibition at age 80.

“At an age when most people think only of retirement, Mrs. Moses acquired the ability to paint pictures which are known and sought eagerly by thousands of people throughout the length and breadth of our land.”    Then-New York Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller, proclaiming September 7, 1960 as Grandma Moses Day.

How come we never got that day offa school?Wouldn’t a yearly reminder of such an inspiring role model help later in life when people begin to believe their time and/or talents are used up? Not me, no Sirree.  People remark on my optimism even when things are rotten.  Certainly this little exhibition fifty-odd years ago must have helped.  Re-read her words, then go out and get inspired to tackle something you didn’t think possible.  If you’d told me at 5 that I’d be winning painting awards when I got older, I’d probably have said, “Just like Gramma M.”

It's officially Summertime, and even if we still must work there's the kid inside yelling,

Play Time!  Thank the Druids.
 
* If the powers-that-be think we’re accumulating too many holidays, we could celebrate lesser ones every four years.  Rotational activities could be fun, and from a marketing aspect considering the food and decorative possibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment

Original gourd art designs Copyright 2024 Andrea Jansen Designs. Please write for permission.