"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner." Colette

Feb 15, 2013

Poked, Pushed and Prodded

I’m poked on Facebook; invited to Link In; and asked to Like Them by Walgreens.  I know I’m missing something.  To Share something, it’s as easy as pushing a button; no explanation necessary. And those buttons are so dog-gone cute, aren’t they?   (My paw print Avatar came with the blog.)

Generic greetings and solicitations appear in my Inbox like the dawn.  I especially enjoy,

“Do you know Biafra Gentry, Lolla Palooza, or Jeffrey Dahmer?”

No.  Do I care to?  No.  I know JD's dead, but that probably doesn't matter.  Today, the radio station announced that if I Like them, they’ll Like me right back.  What exactly does that mean, or rather, what will that do FOR me?  I’ve bellyached enough about friends drifting away; why don’t I accept these stranger’s advances?  I’d have more than 19 Friends on FB to poke me now and then.

When I received that free box of Omaha Steaks last December (click on the link for the story), I had fun going through the enclosed literature; recipes, special offers, and particularly their Conversation Cards, which I just found again today.  A little packet resembling baseball card chewing gum packages of old (if I described that correctly) contained Set #1.  The wrapping claims,

“Have fun with family and friends when you get them all talking.”

Gee, what a concept.  It continues, “…a great way to bring families, fun and laughter back to the dining room table.”  We grew up around a boisterous dinner table but I’m a bit out of practice.  Let’s give it a try.

“If the person across from you were an animal, what would they be?”  Depends on the husband.

“What is your favorite holiday?”  Easy…my birthday.

“What would your dream job or career be?”  A tap-dancing archaeologist.

“Which makes a better pet, a dog or a cat?”  Cats aren’t pets.  They choose to visit.

Well, that was fun.  Oh, wait…Round 2's on the backs.

“What is the best book you have NEVER read? (But wish you had?)”  The Joy of Cooking.  Is there?

“If you could have dinner with any famous person, past or present, who would it be?”  Emily Post.

“If you could live in just one season all year long, would you?”  No.

“If you could know one thing in the future, what would it be?”  When are those Rapture-folks really going to leave?

The problem with questions which do not include, “…and why?” are where do you go from there if the person who answers is unfamiliar with their own vocal chords?  One answer does not William F. Buckley, Jr., make.

One of my X’s grew up with a completely different dining experience than mine.  In that New England home it was,

“Shut up and eat,” so I usually wound up doing all the talking.  Pretty boring (for us both), so I’m all for Omaha Steaks Conversation Cards, despite my sarcasm.  I’m just sad it’s necessary.

   

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment

Original gourd art designs Copyright 2024 Andrea Jansen Designs. Please write for permission.