"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner." Colette

Dec 8, 2012

Happily Ever After


Gourd Santa and Mrs Claus
ornaments, author's designs

I like being married; been down that aisle 3 times so far:  two divorces; one heart attack.  Followed up by my longest relationship to date (twelve years-plus), which went bust a couple-ago.

This morning I realized that it’s not marriage, per se, which I’ve bought into; it’s the Happily Ever After part I heard goes-with.

Weddings came to mind this morning as I listened to the Lay-Away ads, especially from jewelers:  for Christmas, for Birthdays, for Anniversaries.  What else goes literally hand-in-hand with I Do?

Pal Annette's son,
Carlito with Jessica
Big, splashy engagement and wedding ring sets were never my experience; I had plain bands with inscriptions.  I never cared so much about displaying Conspicuous Consumption, but one thing I still hope to acquire during my lifetime is what I call my Big Person’s Ring.

All my rings are dainty things which a schoolgirl might wear.   An Opal from Dad; a pinky initial ring; and my mock-wedding ring with three diamond chips, which I wear on my left ring finger now, from the Black Hills of South Dakota.  Dated a jeweler during one vacation to Mt. Rushmore and got it wholesale.

But one Christmas-time back in the early ‘90’s, when I was a buyer in Manhattan, my vendors all gave me gift certificates for my favorite store, which everybody knew:

Macys.  One draftsman used to stop by my cubicle and sing, ala Ray Charles, “Ma-cys, Ma-cys,”  Those were my flush, single days, when many payday evenings I’d head for the big M, Short-People’s department.

That year I got $900 in certificates.  No, those weren’t bribes; they were just really nice people.  I’d always wanted a sapphire…the color…and eagerly anticipated being able to buy one.

Unfortunately, my allowance could only purchase a sapphire with a couple of diamond chips of equal size.  More dainty rings; that won’t do, I said.  What do you have that’s BIG?

 This Garnet.  It was $980; I threw in the rest and that was that.

I brought the ring along when I moved on the boat, wearing it once or twice over the years.  One occasion was over Joey and Gayle’s hill-top compound, a favorite place to take visiting boaters and guests.  They love people and throw great parties, especially New Year’s, when Joey roasts a pig on the spit.

“I’ve seen you before,” one stranger said to me.  You’re drunk; we’ve not met.  “No, you volunteered for PBS a couple years ago; a pledge drive (in Portland); I remember your ring.”

Now, I swear I had not mentioned that long-distant volunteer gig to anyone, not even my Captain.  Why would I?  After asking and asking how he knew that insignificant detail, I finally walked away dumbfounded.  He must have a photographic memory, people said.  Still, pretty freaky to me, and I avoided him thereafter.

Captain Stan's new face; easier than
trying to cut him out completely
Over time I lost one diamond chip and the band broke in the back.  I had it re-sized back in New Jersey, as a birthday present to myself shortly after my other breakup.  But the prongs were worn, and shortly after the ring photo was taken, the stone fell out sometime while I was out.  “Take it back,” Mom advised, but the jeweler had brought the fact to my attention and said I would need to have it remounted, or whatever.  Not wanting to spend more money at the time, here’s another example of,


It fit with the trauma at the time.  Here in Oregon, rock collecting is a big things, so I thought perhaps I’d eventually find a stone to replace the garnet.  Right; a rock would look real nice.  Earlier this year, out of necessity, I visited a traveling pseudo-Antiques Roadshow-ripoff and hocked some old trinkets, including the remnants of this ring.
I’m sure there’s a lesson in there somewhere; all I know is I still pine after my Big Person’s Ring.  Everyone else over 18 seems to have one; hope springs eternal, and just like my Crayola crayons and Omaha Steak cooler (see earlier posts), more than likely I'll get the ring, too.  Eventually.

Every time I write I drudge up memories, sometimes painful, mostly pleasant.  I sure miss those Puerto Rican luau's; great times with good friends, some of whom have now passed away.  When our Czar was put down, one dilemma was where to bury Czar?  I wanted to have him cremated so we could carry him with, but it was not a common practice in Puerto Rico and they wanted $800, which would have been hard to justify, even if we had it.

Joey and Gayle practically have a zoo of their own, and allowed us to bury Czar on their property, where he remains.  Maybe there's no such thing as Happily Ever After...maybe Happy-for-As-Long-as-it-Lasts is good enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment

Original gourd art designs Copyright 2024 Andrea Jansen Designs. Please write for permission.