"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner." Colette

Oct 28, 2023

Mass Shooting Updates: Compare and Contrast

Remember when we learned that in school?  My English teachers certainly succeeded in ingraining that on MY brain; and while I often chalk up my decisions to being a Libran, I'm sure it's more than that.

So I was comparing law enforcement's responses: to Lewiston, Maine's, new claim to fame as one of the most dreadful, ok, recent, mass shootings...to: the bumbling, covering-up we witnessed in Uvalde, Texas.

What can you say?  NO comparison.  Everyone's learning from mass shootings:  law enforcement agencies across the country; news agencies across the board; children; and unfortunately more crazies.

Today I feel particularly sorry for law enforcement, at least when it comes to responding to reporters.  Good ones, at least, put out as much information as they can, particularly if it's an ongoing case.  Still, it's not enough for our collective, salacious nature so reporters focus on what (our defenders) DIDn't do; where they DIDn't look; what they DIDn't figure. They're just waiting for some spokesperson to slip to pounce like starving animals on raw meat.  Nobody likes being second-guessed.

But despite my analogy I continue to tune-in; although I'm watching minute-by-minute coverage of the Israeli/Palestinian war less than I did in the beginning.  I'll keep track of the highlights; but if I compare my current interest with that towards the Ukrainian war, then I have to conclude that, depending on the headlines, my attentiveness indeed ebbs and flows.

I'm trying to pay attention to a news conference right now, but it's difficult because of the distraction of the sign-language translator, sorry, I don't know the correct title. I'm very glad they continue to help the deaf community, of course; but I'm used to seeing them in a little circle in a top corner of the screen, not front and center.  You definitely had to shift your eyes further than you do now.

Still, the translator - wow!  Even if you don't read sign, she's great with expressing emotions, which is becoming a lost art.  Amy swears that as the translator points to the spokesman she occasionally slips in:

"What an idiot!"  Hearing does not guarantee intelligence.

Sorry, that's irreverent; but tell me you haven't thought the same?  So the overall winner in my eyes:  

THE SIGN LANGUAGE TRANSLATOR!

And,  Good job to Maine.  They did seem like they tried to keep us informed as much as possible.  Now, back to the war.

1 comment:

  1. We also noticed when watching tv last nite during the briefing , that the professional sign language lady was so distracting by her facial expressions . We couldn’t concentrate on what was being said .Your commentary Andrea was spot on !
    Let’s hope these horrible violent acts of desperation ends for good !
    Love you , from Andria & Fred

    ReplyDelete

Add a comment

Original gourd art designs Copyright 2024 Andrea Jansen Designs. Please write for permission.