"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner." Colette

Jun 30, 2023

Freedom of Expression

I rue the day we tear down the Supreme Court, but it's inevitable.  BLATENTLY no longer an impartial court, their decisions are affecting ALL of us.  Think of it - 340 million ruled by 9 individuals in black robes, who are not exactly ethical or truthful. 
Bribery is alive and well  in those hallowed halls.

1.  Of course I was against the court's reversal of Roe vs Wade; particularly since no one has said who's going to PAY for all the costs of those unwanted pregnancies.  Shouldn't forced- babies be offered up for FREE through adoption agencies; so we'll know they won't wind up in Foundling Homes?  That would only be fair.  No one's talking about the possible abuse theose unwanted children may receive once they arrive.

2.  Not sure what to make of the decision to strike down Affirmative Action in colleges; I don't know enough about the statistics to formulate an informed judgement (although my tendency goes towards keeping it).  I grew up while affirmative action was getting off the ground in the 1960's, and happy when companies were trying AA for WOMEN, that wasn't particularly popular either.  We're still waiting for equal pay.

3.  My views have not changed regarding being forced to create something for someone whose views do not jive with your own (read Freedom Not To Express).  Why in the world would you want to force someone to do that?  Think you'll get a first-rate job?  Take out the Same-Sex part of the argument and substitute the following:

Neo-Nazis who want a site full of WHITE robes and rope.

Artwork advertising a Beatiality event.

Documenting a beheading.

If anyone wants to buy something off my table at a festival, fine; but don't threaten me with jail for refusing to paint something I don't want to - and for me personally that happens to include Jesus on the Cross.  I can't imagine trying to paint all that anguish, not to mention dripping blood, eww.

4.  I've already commented on Student Loan Forgiveness, and haven't changed my mind.  Oh boo-hoo, so many were counting on the cash and now they're not getting it.  About time they learned to live with disappointment - it's not going to get better.  I'm always in favor of helping the poor, so Pell Grants and loan forgiveness for low-income households, definitely.

They're making it sound terrible - young people starting their adult lives with a huge loan payment.  When we were young, Senior Citizens were encouraged to buy a house in order to achieve the American Dream; except lots of people (including me) couldn't come up with the down-payment so never got a chance to own their own home. Why not forgive mortgage payments for everyone over 60 who makes less than $75,000 a year?  Or forgive our auto loans, since we're being forced to purchase (in the future) expensive electric cars.

Tell you what, you pay for my car and I'll have your baby.

1 comment:

  1. I too have been mulling over the affirmative action ban. If the country would send Class A teachers and materials to the schools in the Black/Brown neighborhoods, it would make it a level playing field. As it is now, those children of color USUALLY have NOT had an equal education and therefore, deserve "wiggle room" when competing for entrance into college against white students who have had a Class A High School experience and opportunities that currently are unavailable to the Black/Brown community.

    ReplyDelete

Add a comment

Original gourd art designs Copyright 2024 Andrea Jansen Designs. Please write for permission.