"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner." Colette

Feb 6, 2023

Don't They Teach Grammar?

 or, "Isn't Grammar Taught," or, "Don't they teach grammar anymore?"

All of those sentences are probably flawed in some way; something to do with Indirect Objects, Auxiliary Verbs or Dangling Participles.  Any of those ring a bell?

This morning I heard my grammatical pet-peeve spoken by a journalist during the morning news:

"Me and my son checked it out."

Here's what I was taught in the early '60's: Can I rephrase the following?

"My son checked it out."  Yes, that sounds fine.

"Me checked it out."  Only if English is your second language.  What's the alternative?

"I checked it out."  Therefore,

"My son and I checked it out."  I suppose you could also say, "I and my son checked it out," but it doesn't sound as nice, to me.

Any time you're not sure if you're putting your (pronouns?) together properly, first mentally split them apart.

"They and I will go to the store."

Kinda strange, but...

"They will go to the store." and

"I will go to the store."  Both sound fine, but try substituting Me.  You wouldn't say, "Me will go to the store."

Pretty simple, my late Aunt and I always thought. (There's another example...my late Aunt always thought and I always thought, not me always thought.)  Is that rule no longer a 'thing'?

Aunt Cathy was French/Greek, and learned to speak English long before I did. We can't be the only two, but it sure sounds that way; listening to communication today by 'learned scholars' and the Average Joe.  This will also affect sentences using the LGBTQ+ community's prounouns, imagine.

Another reason for me to feel out-of-touch. At least I'm glad I can get it out of my system here, and alleviate what I used to describe as, "My arms are getting tight."  Pent up stress and aggrivation, whoops, aggravation.

6 comments:

  1. That's exactly the way I taught my students to figure it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nope grammer ain't tawt innymore....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hated diagramming sentences in school, but there was a reason we were made to do it. Reading good /classic books also helped us to learn proper usage. Unfortunately, literature is often taught using videos as if plot was all that mattered.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Feh ! Don’t let it bother you so much . Soon Chatgpt and AI will take over ! Lol 😂

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right, there's no need for me to worry about other people's children's education.

    ReplyDelete

Add a comment

Original gourd art designs Copyright 2024 Andrea Jansen Designs. Please write for permission.