"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner." Colette

May 17, 2022

Lovin' It!

I still can't take pictures because no one's turned off the Heavenly spigot, but that's about the only negative I can think of in my new surroundings.  OK, the local Goodwill pales in comparison to the one I left, but that's not a bad thing for my wallet.  I guess the only thing missing is the Prince; but I'm not really looking, despite my quip, "...always on the lookout for my Next-Ex".

I'm living in a Community, which is also where I work.  My duties as a Workamper in an RV 'resort' is to make reservations, check people in and out, sort the mail, dust the shelves in the gift area maybe once a month (there are four of us switching shifts in the office, open 9-5), and playing nice with everyone.  If I screw this up I'm a total ___-up.

BC's had a rough time, poor thing.  A few days prior to the removal of the stitches on her leg, a Pit Bull punched a hole in her ear flap.  A normally calm PB, I tried to introduce my friend's dog on neutral territory, since all sorts of dogs are walked daily and I want BC to have friends.  It started well, nose to nose, tails wagging; but unfortunately BC gives off some kind of pheromones; they both started growling; and suddenly the Pit lunged before anyone could react.  I heard a CHOMP and feared she got BC's neck but I checked and found nothing; until the day of the stitch-removal, when I felt dried blood on her ear.  The Vet said it looked fine; healed nicely on its own, and if she was going to be nipped at least she was nipped in the best possible place.

What can you say?  Dogs will be dogs.  However, when I head down to California to attend my Uncle's service, I'll drag the teardrop not only for a place to crash while on the road but to keep BC from my cousin's Pit Bull, Gracie.  She's a sweet, 100 lb dog all scarred up from her early life as a bait-dog, and now with bad legs to boot; but BC tends to bring out the worst in some dogs.  This has happened numerous times in the past, I can't say I was surprised.  I do the same with men.

Life in the resort reminds me a bit of life in Community First.  I tend to be a homebody, but if I DO want some company all I have to do is step outside and start walking around.  There's always somebody to talk to; either other Workampers or one of the dozen-or-so full-time residents.  People are friendly but mind their own beeswax.

I've got a new mailing address and transferred all my government-stuff.  I've ordered new business cards, and labels to affix to my books so I can start selling them locally and online.  I'm working on my macrame curtain, which has become like Penelope's weaving; tying knots in the morning only to rip them out in the evening.  I'm making up the design as I go along.

On Etsy and elsewhere it's known as as a Wedding Arch, look at this beautiful example, not mine.  I was researching light-weight shelving and found gobs of interesting macrame projets, which led me to my current tangled mess, below.  My bed, above, has two closets behind the mirrored doors, which if left alone make the 'nightstands' unusable:  open the door and knock off anything you've set on it (alarm clock, water bottle, false teeth).  So I removed the doors and bought this 'curtain' because I wanted to hide the overhead shelf and the opened closets.  I selected one intentionally plain so that I could knot it to suit my needs, seemed like a good idea at the time.

At least it's been entertaining, and my knotting skills have improved in the past month, you can imagine.   Still don't know what I'm doing but I'm enjoying the journey.  Reminds me of a coffee cup I picked up:

"Remember that Happiness is a way of travel, NOT a destination...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment

Original gourd art designs Copyright 2024 Andrea Jansen Designs. Please write for permission.