"What a wonderful life I've had! I only wish I'd realized it sooner." Colette

Aug 29, 2021

Earth without Art is just "Eh"

In-between husbands in the 1980's, I lived with my recently-widowed mother while working in Manhattan, which worked out well for us both. I'd rented what seemed like countless apartments since H.S. graduation, so after a couple of years I began house-hunting (condos and co-ops were popular at the time).  When nothing seemed to fit my 'requirements' I whined to Mom that I'd NEVER have a home.

"You have a home; you just don't have a house to put it in yet," I've told this story before.  Well, Mom, in my mid-60's I've learned that since I still haven't found my ideal abode I'll just paint one for myself.

We had a multi-family yard sale the past couple days, which was pretty much a bust financially (for everyone).  Covid-deniers have caused people's anxieties to rise AGAIN, plus our smoky skies rarely gives us a break and people do tend to stay indoors.  However, $20 was still more than I've made at many an art show, smiling for hours while painting gourds as a dog-and-pony side-show.  You get used to it, the smoke and the boredom.  At least I learned what I don't care about, so the trunk's loaded for a thrift store donation.

Instead of gourds I was painting my Hobbit-door, and hardly anyone left without stopping to look and chat and laugh as we spoke.  After all this time in near-isolation it was SUCH a welcome respite, I didn't care if they didn't buy a thing.  It didn't take long to appreciate that wherever I go with this thing I'm bound to find people to talk to, what fun!  Some took photos and I passed along my info (@paintedladyteardrop), and more than one contacted a friend with similar interests to come take a peek, and we exchanged ideas.

Particularly helpful were suggestions for attaching my map, which neither Gorilla Glue nor Liquid Nails would hold in place.  It's only a piece of tin, for crying out loud.  That's alright; it wasn't in the correct position anyway, so I'll try again.

I'm still waiting to make a final decision about selling my RV and leaving, since events can change in a moment; but still shooting for the end of September.  We could have another, more serious lockdown; we could have another, more serious war.  I don't know why people are calling the situation in Afghanistan The End.  Looks like the beginning to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment

Original gourd art designs Copyright 2024 Andrea Jansen Designs. Please write for permission.